What's new

New SP4 firmware out

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard all of horror stories of people plagued with issue after issue with the SP4. It just goes to show me how ignorant I am when it comes to how things are distributed after manufacturing etc. I guess I got lucky - Zero issues the whole way around. Sure, the typecover would stop working on rare occasions, I'd just pull it apart, reattach and BAM! Issue solved. As to all of the issues I have read about, man I sure hope this update (Firmware etc) - solves some of them for folks! I mean think about it - If ya drop $2000+ on a TV, and you had that many issues, the manufacturer would be outta business - But somehow Microsoft comes out unscathed. The slew of people that threw in the towel for an Apple or the likes won't even dent ol Bill's wallet.

I am counting my blessings with my SP4 - lovin it point blank, period. I haven't, (and won't) open the cover to my laptop except to update it and blow the dust off. Now to research longevity of the Surface line. I will skip the next round of SP5, and perhaps pick up on an SP6, as the SP4 does everything I need it to do, and more. Anyhow - rant over.

bradl79

I have heard all of horror stories of people plagued with issue after issue with the SP4. It just goes to show me how ignorant I am when it comes to how things are distributed after manufacturing etc. I guess I got lucky - Zero issues the whole way around. Sure, the typecover would stop working on rare occasions, I'd just pull it apart, reattach and BAM! Issue solved. As to all of the issues I have read about, man I sure hope this update (Firmware etc) - solves some of them for folks! I mean think about it - If ya drop $2000+ on a TV, and you had that many issues, the manufacturer would be outta business - But somehow Microsoft comes out unscathed. The slew of people that threw in the towel for an Apple or the likes won't even dent ol Bill's wallet.

I am counting my blessings with my SP4 - lovin it point blank, period. I haven't, (and won't) open the cover to my laptop except to update it and blow the dust off. Now to research longevity of the Surface line. I will skip the next round of SP5, and perhaps pick up on an SP6, as the SP4 does everything I need it to do, and more. Anyhow - rant over.

yeah i love mine too, i had an issue with my 1st one, i got it home and nothing would come on, u can see the light but no surface logo or anything, took it back, second one i tried to do a refresh and got stuck and kept getting loop and could not restore, and finally this one is working pretty well, but i never have to go through stuff like that, this is about the only tech gadget i ever had to exchange due to issues and since its near impossible to work on it urself, u have to rely on ms to do it and they will charge an arm and a leg, i think on my next one if they do not make it easier to upgrade or take apart i may just go back to a normal laptop

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah i love mine too, i had an issue with my 1st one, i got it home and nothing would come on, u can see the light but no surface logo or anything, took it back, second one i tried to do a refresh and got stuck and kept getting loop and could not restore, and finally this one is working pretty well, but i never have to go through stuff like that, this is about the only tech gadget i ever had to exchange due to issues and since its near impossible to work on it urself, u have to rely on ms to do it and they will charge an arm and a leg, i think on my next one if they do not make it easier to upgrade or take apart i may just go back to a normal laptop

I'm a PC/IT guru from way back, Tandy Shack TRS-80 with 16Kb of memory. I have learned a little with the SP4 - and yes Microsoft has kept a lot of things hard to fix yourself. Such as reloading Windows from scratch....Your USB drive has to be FAT32 in order for it to be picked up on a reload. Same with UEFI BIOS's. I mean who wants to drop that amount of coinage only to be forced to "fix" things, or exchange them? I rushed right out and bought this one, my first... But after reading all the great reviews with the SP3 -I thought "how can I go wrong"...? I mean I got ultra lucky I guess.

coolowl

I know this is off topic but I too am very pleased with my SP4. Normally I hate new stuff after I buy it. I'm the worst. I return things as fast as I buy them. In fact, the first question I asked the MS salesman was "What is your return policy?"

It's now been five days and i still love it. And it just keeps getting better. Today I learned how to connect it to an external display. It worked great. Also used the pen for the first time. Found a great use for it. This has been an excellent purchase. I recommend the SP4 purchase to anyone.

M$user

Did this update fix the sleep issue when closing the keyboard? I've been using the hibernate workaround.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Firmware as fixed all outstanding issues for me....of course running the latest Redstone Builds have kept me on my toes :)

JeffGr

One thing I did - You might try if you want, but at your own risk - worked like a charm for me. Go to the device manager, uninstall the FIRMWARE for all Surface devices. Once done, go to the Windows Update and check for updates. It installed the latest and greatest updates for me this way. Again - Make sure you don't have anything pressing going on, make sure you have a good internet connection, and give it a whirl.

Hope this helps.

Hmm. Tried this and still haven't received the updates. Really strange. I wonder if there is something on my system that is blocking them somehow? I.haven't had time to open a customer support session with Microsoft, but I suppose I'll try and do so tomorrow if I still haven't received the updates. My system has definitely had some of the sleep related issues, so I'd very much like to get these installed and see if it corrects them.

Philtastic

What I'm really liking about this sleep fix is that now I can use it like I would any other tablet: put it to sleep when I'm not using it. No more deciding whether I want to save and close everything for a shutdown or risk draining my battery to keep everything open for later. Just push the power button when I'm done with it and it resumes wherever I left off.

errordewin2

My case is bit strange, I have never had the problem with the sleep since one mounth ago when I bought my surface pro 4, but theese two nights, since the last firmware update, I can not wake up the surface because all batery was drained.
So before the update all works fine for me, but after, the problem has appeared. :(

gtmead09

My case is bit strange, I have never had the problem with the sleep since one mounth ago when I bought my surface pro 4, but theese two nights, since the last firmware update, I can not wake up the surface because all batery was drained.
So before the update all works fine for me, but after, the problem has appeared. :(

I guess I would try to reset, this update for me has been nothing short of awesome.