What's new

New SP4 firmware out

Compusmurf

Lot of chatter in other forums that many issues relate to the intel video driver. I switched to the latest beta and have been happy since. LoveMySurface.net states MS is aware and working with Intel on a better one.

Philtastic

Device would not wake again from sleep today, this time with no video open, so it's just an issue that's still there. Seems like the battery drain issue is fixed but the crash during wake up is not, thus sleep is still not reliable. Sigh.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Device would not wake again from sleep today, this time with no video open, so it's just an issue that's still there. Seems like the battery drain issue is fixed but the crash during wake up is not, thus sleep is still not reliable. Sigh.
Did you install the Samsung SSD Driver? I removed it after the last Firmware Update and fixed the crash from sleep issue.

I would find a store that has a liberal return policy, buy one, take it home and update it.

I am now thinking CostCo... bundle is $1800 (until tomorrow) for the i7/16g/256g with type cover & 1y Office 365 & wireless adapter, and the RETURN policy is 90 days.... The only issue is I would like to buy the MS warranty and though I can walk into a MS store to get it, if I return it in 60 days, not sure how MS would handle the return of the warranty ...

EMINENT

Today, I attached the keyboard after taking off charge, pressed several buttons on the keyboard to make sure the device wasn't awake. Confirmed nothing, black screen, no Windows Hello, closed type cover. Get to work and bag is warm. Open cover and lock screen is on. Log in, check battery and it's at 89% from my 20 minute drive.

WTF?

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Today, I attached the keyboard after taking off charge, pressed several buttons on the keyboard to make sure the device wasn't awake. Confirmed nothing, black screen, no Windows Hello, closed type cover. Get to work and bag is warm. Open cover and lock screen is on. Log in, check battery and it's at 89% from my 20 minute drive.

WTF?

Bottom line is I'm finding it's not reliable. Mine was verifiably sleeping, then I put it in my home office while I was working the other day. Suddenly I heard a fan running somewhere in the room, realized it's the SP4. Checked it, back was hot to the touch and the fan was running full-blast. No rhyme or reason. And I had turned off Wifi in the background to test if that made a difference with battery life while sleeping.

Clearly, something wakes these things from sleep. Or, perhaps more accurate: they're simply not capable of maintaining a reliable sleep state so far. I'm not an engineer and so I can't say what's going on, and I don't have enough information to presume it's just the SP4 that's suffering from the problem. I've been testing some Lenovo machines with Skylake, and they haven't suffered from the issue (and I've tested for it in the same was as I test my SP4), but that's nowhere near enough data to draw any meaningful conclusion. Intel is likely the only one with enough info, because presumably they're working with OEMs to figure out what's going on.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just food for though - and I say this with caution, but have you by chance disabled the network card / power management / allow this device to wake the computer? I had this exact issue and stopping the network card from allowing it to wake the computer cleared it right up. I mean think about it....If your driving past a McDonald's and their WiFi signal "tickles" your network card....etc, etc.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Just food for though - and I say this with caution, but have you by chance disabled the network card / power management / allow this device to wake the computer? I had this exact issue and stopping the network card from allowing it to wake the computer cleared it right up. I mean think about it....If your driving past a McDonald's and their WiFi signal "tickles" your network card....etc, etc.

Hmm, interesting. Forgot all about that, definitely worth turning all of that stuff off. I'll do that as a test, for sure, thanks for the suggestion.

EMINENT

This is a valid assumption. However, even if this was triggering a wake, shouldn't the cover being closed keep the device from waking?

We as consumers shouldn't need to dive into device manager to toggle this setting.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a valid assumption. However, even if this was triggering a wake, shouldn't the cover being closed keep the device from waking?

We as consumers shouldn't need to dive into device manager to toggle this setting.

Agreed, we consumers "shouldn't have to" - But as you may have, or not seen - Microsoft is having some real issues with the SP4 with no timeline for a solution. So perhaps "Diving in" might be in order for those brave enough to execute a few mouse clicks.

In regards to the cover being closed - his device was waking up from something with the lid closed - whether it be the network card, perhaps a wireless mouse, Bluetooth, the same guy who turns off the light in the refrigerator when the door closes - remains to be seen, as it seems a huge pile of people have been having this issue(s). As for me, disabling the "allow this device to wake the computer" would seem a good place to start as the number of devices allowed to wake the device are limited. I do know this fixed my waking problem 100%. Perhaps you have a pointer or idea? - since obviously Microsoft doesn't seem to.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, interesting. Forgot all about that, definitely worth turning all of that stuff off. I'll do that as a test, for sure, thanks for the suggestion.

If you get time, perhaps you can let me know if this fixed your issue. It fixed mine completely, so I am intrigued as to your issue / possible resolution. Thanks in advance - :rolleyes: