What's new

New SP4 owner, want to keep it but....

SurfaceGk

I'm always on the go and have been using an iPad with Verizon LTE for the past 3 years for field work. I got tired of only being able to run mobile apps and having to work on my home computer when I couldn't get certain tasks done. So I bought an SP4 about a week ago and have gotten pretty invested in it (purchased the Office 365 package, case, keyboard, etc.). So far I love the device, but there is one major feature lacking from the SP4 that may cause me to return it. Microsoft dropped the built in LTE chip. So instead of paying $30/month for LTE Connectivity on my iPad, it looks like I'll have to buy a $200 hotspot, pay $30/month for LTE and an additional $20/month for Line Access (and carry around another device/hotspot) Has anyone found a better solution?

Thanks

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

It wasn't really a matter of dropping it as they just haven't released the 4 with it yet. They may or may not. I;m not sure the demand for the 3 with LTE was high enough to warrant it but they didn't come out with the LTE model until well after the 3 was released. Can you not tether to your phone?

I use an AT&T mobile hotspot that was a bundle with my 2 phones and it doesn't cost me all that much.

Can you add tethering to your phone? I travel extensively and just use my work issued phone with tethering for all my data needs in the US and abroad.

OP
S

SurfaceGk

I can add tethering to my iPhone plan, but it's on Sprint and I've always enjoyed the much more reliable Verizon LTE connection, and not having to sacrifice battery life of my phone. I guess that's the best solution for the time being however. I didn't know MS may release an LTE version.....if I don't return my Sp4 this week I'm stuck w it. Just thinking out loud. Thanks for the suggestions.

bradl79

U can always got a mobile Hotspot for ur car, that is what i did, I have one for att, it connects to ur obd II port and i belive u do have an option to always leave on so if u do alot while in or near ur vehical, it would be a great option, its called a ZTE Mobley, I think i may sell mine since I moved to unlimited data, so if u r interested u can buy mine so u don't have a Contract

ZTE Mobley - Car Wi-Fi Hotspot Device - AT&T

TeknoBlast

I do the same thing with my Pro 3. I turn on my hotspot on my phone and boom, connected to the internet.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could you explain those prices a bit more? Doesn't stack up to me. If you buy a tablet SIM why do you then have to also pay for line access? And why $200 when you can buy a usb dongle for a handful of bucks.

Scott Wells

Have you considered a 4G LTE USB dongle? Obviously the SP4 only has one USB port and that may already be in use, but if not, it seems like a reasonable option.

OP
S

SurfaceGk

So I ended up just paying $20/month for 2gb of hotspot on my iPhone. I set up a BT connection to the surface which will hopefully help with battery life on my iPhone. Verizon stated that the hotspot I would have to purchase from them would need a phone number and an additional line access fee of $20/month would apply in addition to the $30/month plan; even with a USB dongle. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

bradl79

BT is prob not going to be very fast especially if u are LTE, i am not quite understanding, if u have the mobile share plan for your iphone then u can tether, if u are getting a new line to add a mobile hotspot then u should add it to ur plan, i work for att but i know verizons are pretty similar, so what plan do u currently have with Verizon now for ur iPhone