What's new

New Surface Book config option

Az_Rael

There is now a cheap dGPU option with the 128GB/Core i5/8GB RAM on the MS store site for $1699. Nice option for those that want a dGPU at a lower price point.

Can't take credit for finding this, the guys on the reddit page spotted it, but I thought I would share over here.

mva5580

It's amazing how much more you pay for this device because of the screen detaching.

For that exact same price you could get the Dell XPS 15 with a quad core i7, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, and a GTX 960M. Granted it's a 1080p screen instead of a touch screen 3000 x 2000 but still, miles ahead in terms of performance.

OP
A

Az_Rael

It's amazing how much more you pay for this device because of the screen detaching.

For that exact same price you could get the Dell XPS 15 with a quad core i7, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD, and a GTX 960M. Granted it's a 1080p screen instead of a touch screen 3000 x 2000 but still, miles ahead in terms of performance.

Eh, different market. MS is aiming at creatives. That dell doesn't come with a digitizer stylus, which is a huge deal for a lot of creative professionals looking for an alternative to a Wacom tethered to a laptop.

I think the whole Surface line has been very popular with photographers, designers, etc.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh, different market. MS is aiming at creatives. That dell doesn't come with a digitizer stylus, which is a huge deal for a lot of creative professionals looking for an alternative to a Wacom tethered to a laptop.

I think the whole Surface line has been very popular with photographers, designers, etc.
And it weighs 3.9 - 4.4+ pounds.
The upgrade to a 3840 x 2160 display is another $500 and $50 for the Pro OS brings it to $2,250.

I do photography as a hobby and I can tell you it's a godsend to be able to quick edit photos out in the field, in the past you just waited till you got back home or where ever and upload them on your desktop. Now if you don't like what you see in an editor while still on site you could reshoot immediately . I do a lot of landscape-nature photos and you sure don't want to pack a laptop into the forest.