What's new

New Surface Book with Performance Base i7/16GB/1TB shutdown overnight while in Sleep Mode

loguicito

Yesterday I got my new SB, I haven't really installed much, mostly office and project 2016, and did a full Windows Update as well. I left the SB last night around 1AM in Sleep Mode with many apps open, Edge, Outlook and Explorer. This morning around 7AM I opened and to my surprise the SB was rebooting from a Shutdown, after checking the logs in Event Viewer I found "The Previous system shutdown at 3:26AM on 11/26 was unexpected", "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first....." and "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.......".

I've read all over about this issue called "The Sleep of Death" on the SB, I thought this problem would have been resolved already, it is almost 18 months since the release.

Any idea if there is a fix? For me stability and reliability are the two most important attributes of a laptop/tablet device, when I open it, it has to work, at least most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking on returning it but I want to give it a try first.

OP
L

loguicito

The first thing I did after opening the box was Windows Update, some of them failed UEFI, Surface Mgmt Engine, Surface Emb Controller FW, etc, I went ahead and downloaded all the drivers from Microsoft and run the installer, then I checked every single driver against this list Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates and they were all OK. Really I do not know what else to do. No other application has been installed, the SB is not event 24 hours old

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I did after opening the box was Windows Update, some of them failed UEFI, Surface Mgmt Engine, Surface Emb Controller FW, etc, I went ahead and downloaded all the drivers from Microsoft and run the installer, then I checked every single driver against this list Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates and they were all OK. Really I do not know what else to do. No other application has been installed, the SB is not event 24 hours old
Are you running the AU? It shipped with TH2...

OP
L

loguicito

Right now is running 1607. Windows Update downloaded 1607 updates, I am not sure what was the initial build, it could have been 1511 or 1607

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We received an update about a week ago that included new NVIDIA drivers and multiple Driver and Firmware updates, I doubt the IT Driver Package has been updated with that as it typically takes 2-3 weeks...

OP
L

loguicito

We received an update about a week ago that included new NVIDIA drivers and multiple Driver and Firmware updates, I doubt the IT Driver Package has been updated with that as it typically takes 2-3 weeks...

Windows Update failed to install: UEFI, NVIDIA, Intel 100, Intel Precise Touch, Embedded Controller and Management Engine, is there a way to avoid the failure and have a successful Windows Update completion? If I erase everything to factory default and do it all over again, is there something I should do before the Windows Update to ensure no failure?

NOTE: After I installed the Driver Package I checked every single driver in the failure list again Microsoft list of updates (Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates) and they were all current up to November 17th including NVDIA, UEFI and Precise Touch Device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Update failed to install: UEFI, NVIDIA, Intel 100, Intel Precise Touch, Embedded Controller and Management Engine, is there a way to avoid the failure and have a successful Windows Update completion? If I erase everything to factory default and do it all over again, is there something I should do before the Windows Update to ensure no failure?

NOTE: After I installed the Driver Package I checked every single driver in the failure list again Microsoft list of updates (Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates) and they were all current up to November 17th including NVDIA, UEFI and Precise Touch Device.
WoW...that was quicker than normal. You could do a reset.... or wait and see if it does again. The first 48-72 hours Windows does indexing and optimization routines... performance suffers during this time.

SurfaceDepth

I have the 512 gig version of the same machine, and haven't had this issue. I updated patches, and there was a firmware update for the machine as well. I did run into a blue screen one time where the machine restarted, but outside of that isolated instance I haven't had any issues the last ten days.