What's new

New Surface owners! REGISTER YOUR DEVICES

oion

I couldn't find an existing thread to bump, but this is a critical step in your ownership if you want warranty services or if you want to add the additional Microsoft Complete Extended Service insurance to your new Surface--this must be purchased within 45 days after buying your Surface if you want it. People who bought from other vendors like Best Buy are qualified for the MS Complete warranty (thanks hypokondriak!).

The serial numbers are on the stickers on your boxes.

Posted from a different thread:
I noticed there were separate interfaces for registering your devices with MS, and one login page ended up being a dead-end. Very confusing. Nor would the support login page work in my desktop IE10 for some reason, so I ended up registering through IE11 on my Surface 2. It took unnecessary effort! There should be an easier way, but this ended up working for me:

Register your Microsoft Surface product | Product registration
Copy that URL. Log in. It will take you to some general cover page. Paste the URL again. Now the drop-downs will work and shows both generations and accessories--don't forget to register your accessories, like keyboard.

Also, after registering, you will be able to buy the optional Microsoft Complete Extended Service which adds a year of insurance to the original warranty and covers accidental damage (with deductible). https://myservice.surface.com/en-US/pages/welcome.aspx (This is also the same page to un-register.)

Hopefully others won't see the weird login issues I was having--my desktop IE10 for the registration URL went to a completely blank "login.live.com" address, and while I could log in fine with my Opera browser, the form field for the serial number didn't work at all. Maybe other browsers work, but after trying twice (on MS's IE10 no less), I just went for IE11 on the Surface.

Edit to add: The reason for this roundabout business is because the normal registration page does not yet include the second generation Surface stuff in the drop-down list.

Last edited:

deldalton

Once again, thanks for this, oion. If you hadn't have mentioned this in your other post I wouldn't have been aware that it was possible to register my device. So, I'm sure many others will appreciate you making a separate thread for this!

OP
O

oion

Once again, thanks for this, oion. If you hadn't have mentioned this in your other post I wouldn't have been aware that it was possible to register my device. So, I'm sure many others will appreciate you making a separate thread for this!

:) The device management section (second URL) is a great way to see how much warranty time you have left and to file an actual support ticket online. The MS service URLs have way too many redirects, which was messing up my own efforts somewhere, and if you do manage to sign in from the obvious registration URL (the first one), it doesn't even take you back to the registration page. At least for me. Weird! I'm sure MS will add the second gen devices to the device management dropdown eventually, but still.

Procinctu

I just added the 2 year extended warranty with accident coverage to my SP2 256. I clicked "Check My Device" before I could print out hard copy of warranty. It no longer shows that I can buy an extended warranty, but it still only shows Standard Warranty on the device. Anyone get a confirmation email or extended warranty "link up" shown in their account, if they purchased after they received it? I will be using this in the field all year, in and out of a vehicle, so I wanted the accident coverage.

OP
O

oion

I just added the 2 year extended warranty with accident coverage to my SP2 256. I clicked "Check My Device" before I could print out hard copy of warranty. It no longer shows that I can buy an extended warranty, but it still only shows Standard Warranty on the device. Anyone get a confirmation email or extended warranty "link up" shown in their account, if they purchased after they received it? I will be using this in the field all year, in and out of a vehicle, so I wanted the accident coverage.

It took a little while for the additional coverage (it's not actually a "warranty," silly MS) to appear on my account, and I assume that delay was due to charging my cc. Now when I go to "check warranty" (second URL), it does show the Extended Service Plan along with the accidental damage protection. So I'd wait and check again--I did NOT receive an email receipt from MS about the Complete purchase, though. (So people doing this new may want to take screenshots...)

Procinctu

I had a chat with MS where they checked it was attached. I was specific on the accident coverage and my serial number was in the chat. I selected "email me chat" at the end. In the chat the rep confirmed it was attached. I am keeping that email.

Thanks for the update.

jfadriqu

So if I purchase a SP2 at BestBuy, I can get Microsoft's warranty, the 200GB SkyDrive subscription, and Skype perks too?

Time for a BB credit card!

hypokondriak

So if I purchase a SP2 at BestBuy, I can get Microsoft's warranty, the 200GB SkyDrive subscription, and Skype perks too?

You cannot buy the Microsoft Complete warranty on the Best Buy card though - just an FYI.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

D

Deleted member 10837

The 200GB SkyDrive and free Skype comes in the packaging with a code you can redeem. I personally don't want either so I'm hoping to sell it to pay for the extended warranty. Their website complete coverage details states additional 1 year of limited warranty coverage but not how long for accidental damage coverage. And I'm a little fuzzy on the various deductibles including for accessories.

Agave Azul

I bought my SP2 256/8 at my local MS Store.
I purchased the extended 2 year warranty at the store when I paid for my Surface.

Do you all think that I still need to register my Surface?
OR
Should I call first and inquire?

My sales girl at the MS Store never mentioned registering it.