What's new

New Surface Pen 2017 compatiblility

kidchuckle

I thought I would post this here. I've been getting a lot of conflicting news on the New Surface Pen.

The new pen sports greater pen sensitivity ( I believe 4 times), as well as tilt functionality.

I've heard the new Pen will be compatible with surface book and surface Pro 4, but it's performance will only be pressure sensitivity.

One report says this New Surface Pro, Surface Pen announced

UPDATE: The Microsoft Store claims that the pen is compatible with the Surface 3, Surface Pro 3 and 4, Surface Book, Studio and Laptop. Tilt support will be added to these devices via a future Windows Update.

But when I asked at the store. they just said pressure sensitivity only.
Because the pen dependant on the hardware of the device.

Or is Microsoft trying to figure out a software emulation that will work on the new pen down the road? or is that just false.

I'll probably getting anyways(more pressure sensitivity is what I always wanted as an artist. It's already great. but more would be better!). But I would love to hear one concise answer.
and do the pen tips on past pens work on the new one?

thanks

OP
kidchuckle

kidchuckle

Thanks for the quick reply.

I read through the article, I didn't catch if the tilt was supported though on older models(Unless I missed it). It only mentioned the pen works for sp4 and book.
Which is what I wanted to get clarified if tilt support will work. Because I keep hearing different responses about the tilt compatibility.

"tilt indicates that both the Surface device and the Pen have an accelerometer, gyroscope or other technology enabling the Pen/Ink API to detect the angle of the pen with respect to the screen. This allows software to change brush strokes on-the-fly based on the tilt of the pen. Even without this feature, RF triangulation, in the n-trig case, already enables the digitizer system to recognize the orientation of the pen (right-handed use vs left-handed use) to optimize the tracking behavior."

So I'm not sure if the Surface book and surface pro 4 ("surface device") have that accelerometer or gyroscope or other technology to support the pen.
this is is why I wanted the clarification if it will work (maybe through software?)

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply.

I read through the article, I didn't catch if the tilt was supported though on older models(Unless I missed it). It only mentioned the pen works for sp4 and book.
Which is what I wanted to get clarified if tilt support will work. Because I keep hearing different responses about the tilt compatibility.

"tilt indicates that both the Surface device and the Pen have an accelerometer, gyroscope or other technology enabling the Pen/Ink API to detect the angle of the pen with respect to the screen. This allows software to change brush strokes on-the-fly based on the tilt of the pen. Even without this feature, RF triangulation, in the n-trig case, already enables the digitizer system to recognize the orientation of the pen (right-handed use vs left-handed use) to optimize the tracking behavior."

So I'm not sure if the Surface book and surface pro 4 ("surface device") have that accelerometer or gyroscope or other technology to support the pen.
this is is why I wanted the clarification if it will work (maybe through software?)

You have to look closely at that table but it says Tilt is supported on everything back to SP3 except the laptop. Tilt is supported on SP3, S3, SP4, SB, Studio, and 2017 SP, Not supported on Hub, Laptop, Pro2, Pro1 (or RT, S2 which have no Pen support at all). However, devices require some Firmware update as I understand it so support may be coming at different times.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any rumors about when the Surface Laptop will have full pen/tilt functionality?
It seems odd they would exclude the laptop at all IF they intended to do it. My guess is they don't intend to bring tilt to the laptop. Tilt would function as an angular position from a reference point the screen. I'd speculate that without the sensor for detecting screen angle it cannot be done and AFAIK it doesn't have a sensor for that in the Laptop. i.e. holding the Laptop upside down or at an angle won't auto rotate the screen. Knowing only the orientation of the Pen in space is not enough to determine a reference angle for Tilt. Maybe this works differently than I imagine but I don't think it's an option.

Last edited: