What's new

New Surface Pen Issues

BobG

I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and the issue of intermittent pen not writing is a "known issue" according to MS. My pen only works reliably after a fresh restart of the tablet, otherwise is less than 50/50 reliable. They said they are working on it and will keep me posted. I will be returning my device within the 30 days window if no fix in the next couple weeks.
I can still bring up OneNote by clicking the eraser, even when the pen won't write.
I hope they fix this because I want to keep this SP4 otherwise, cost me two grand

Exact same problem, pen tip stops registering touch or drag. I bought mine in a physical store so I got them to swap just the pen. While I was there I noticed that they had the blue one in stock, so I bought that also. At first the screen would also stop showing the little hover dot. Now it shows the dot but does nothing when you touch the screen (some of the time).

Same problem has recurred with the replacement silver pen as well as the new blue pen. So either it's in software, the screen, or all three pens are bad.

Now here's the kicker: I still have a spare pen from the SP3 that I got rid of. (Purple tip.) This pen works great, never stops working. I recorded a small video I put upon YouTube showing the silver pen doing nothing at the same time as the purple tip works fine.

My SP4 pens generally work again if I unlock the pen top and just draw it back enough to disconnect the battery it works again. Also lightly tapping it on the side of the tablet sometimes gets it working again. I'm not confident that these fixes are actual rather than coincidence, but one thing that's absolute is that the SP3 pen has never taken a break, only all three SP4 pens.

apalix

How often have you have your pen stop? I haven't had any issues with it since Monday night. I had originally thought it was the Intel graphics drivers I installed on Monday, but I reinstalled a recently updated version of them last night and still haven't had any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm having the pen issue right now as I'm writing this. I keep wondering if it has something to do with it not being connected to the SP4 magnet? Stupid, I know, but every time I leave it laying on the table, it seems to lose it's connection. The eraser tip still works, but it won't write. Only a restart solves the problem.

BobG

Finally gave up after 2 SP4s and 4 pens. Definitely the pen, when it stops it won't work on SP3 right next to it either. SP3 pen never stops, just feels terrible after SP4 pen.
Replaced with Dell XPS 13 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, on which I wrote this reply.
l'd rather have a single device to do everything, but this pair is pretty awesome, especially the Dell laptop, which I first experienced in the Microsoft store.
Bob G

DavidZ

Finally gave up after 2 SP4s and 4 pens. Definitely the pen, when it stops it won't work on SP3 right next to it either. SP3 pen never stops, just feels terrible after SP4 pen.
Replaced with Dell XPS 13 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, on which I wrote this reply.
l'd rather have a single device to do everything, but this pair is pretty awesome, especially the Dell laptop, which I first experienced in the Microsoft store.
Bob G

Why not the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 Tablet PC ?

BobG

Why not the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 Tablet PC ?
The XPS 13 is one of the most premium feeling devices I've ever touched. Plus the infinity display is amazing. I've played with Lenovo Yoga products a lot, can't stand the feeling of the keyboard on the back when holding as a tablet.

You will be hard pressed to find a better reviewed product than the XPS 13... and they're right!

DavidZ

The XPS 13 is one of the most premium feeling devices I've ever touched. Plus the infinity display is amazing. I've played with Lenovo Yoga products a lot, can't stand the feeling of the keyboard on the back when holding as a tablet.

You will be hard pressed to find a better reviewed product than the XPS 13... and they're right!

I agree.

But if you want one device, why not the Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 Tablet PC ?

BobG

Loving the product(s) trumps having all-in-one. Plus the Galaxy Note 10.1 has better handwriting input than the Surface, especially since Microsoft buggered up the input panel in Win 10. And I use a Wacom Bamboo Stylus feel pen with the Galaxy, which I can't do with MS Surface > 2.