What's new

New Surface Pro 2 User from Apple

gman713

Hey guys, I just purchased the Surface Pro 2 and love this device! I am a long time MacBook Air and iPad user and thought to combine the two for the ultimate in portability. There is one thing that is making me a little nervous with my purchase and wondering if I should return it... I bought the SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC UHS-1 along with my purchase at Best Buy and it was acting quirky. I have been moving large Steam files back and forth to this micro sd drive for the last 2 days and while downloading a game from Steam, the microSD card just vanished from my system. I had to take it out and pop it back in to be recognized. I ran a scan and no issues were reported. I started downloading again, and the card again vanished from my system. My concern is that I have only 12 days to return this unit if this is truly defective. I can't imagine a brand new SanDisk card having issues so suddenly. Any thoughts on what I should do? Crap, as I was writing this, the card disappeared again.

OP
G

gman713

Crap, it keeps dropping out. Shoot, I really wanted to have this device because it's very cool but I can't take a chance of having future issues. I guess I need to set it back to factory settings and return it.

revmike

It might be the card. I have the same card and I have experienced no problems, such as you have described.

olimjj

I too have the same exact card and similarly have had no problems. Disconnect all attached USB devices if any and do a complete shutdown. Remove and reinsert your mSDXC card and reboot . It should work.

Make sure that if you remove the card when the machine is on you do it properly via "Remove Hardware and Eject Media"

Last edited:
OP
G

gman713

Thanks for your quick responses!! That at least reassures me it isn't the SD card. It must be a bad micro sd reader built into the unit itself. I followed all the steps you outlined above but it kept dropping the card from the system. The good news is that I only had it for 2 days and haven't really grown too attached. I'm glad other folks are not having these problems, but I'm not about to go through the same experience I had with Alienware a long time ago and finding out it was a motherboard issue. At least I gave this whole Surface Pro thing a shot!

OP
G

gman713

You are right! I may have jumped the gun- I may try exchanging the device and get a different card this time. Are there any microsd card recommendations for the Pro 2 instead of Sandisk? I'm looking for at least 64 GB capacity, speed and reliability.

lesmic

Why take a chance on returning a good unit when the problem might just be a faulty SD card.
It should be fairly simple to test. Start by exchanging the card and testing with another one.
If the problem persists with the second card then it points to a faulty SP2.

deldalton

You are right! I may have jumped the gun- I may try exchanging the device and get a different card this time. Are there any microsd card recommendations for the Pro 2 instead of Sandisk? I'm looking for at least 64 GB capacity, speed and reliability.

Am I correct in saying that 64GB is the largest capacity micro SD card you can get?

Other people have been using their SanDisks just fine and they are, of course, a well represented brand. I plan on picking one of myself. I would recommend just replacing it for the another of the same card.

Just to confirm though, the UHS-1 is a class 10 card right?

CrippsCorner

You can pre-order 128Gb one's now (no idea when they're actually released) but I warn you, they're about £400!

I had a slight problem with my Surface Pro recognising my SanDisc SDXC card too but it was fixed after a reboot... however there are other problems and fixes out there, have a Google :)

mitchellvii

The problem IS the card, I assure you.

SanDisk Ultra Cards are thinner than standard sdcards and fail to make a solid connection. Get a card by any other make and you will no longer have this issue. There is a reason why the SanDisk Ultra cards are always on sale for so cheap.

olimjj

If you want an alternative, albeit a little more expensive one, then you can opt for the Samsung 64GB micro XC I Class 10 card. I have this in my SP2. I had to spoil the newer Surface Pro with a premium card. :)