What's new

New Surface Pro 3 Firmware released

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ref: Microsoft is rolling out a new firmware update for Surface Pro 3 - MSPoweruser.

Note I received the Firmware overnight prior to finding this article. My SP3 is on the Insiders release preview so it's possible this is not out to the general public yet but if not it's only a couple days ahead if that.

At the moment, we're like Sargent Shultz, we know nothing.

No information anywhere on this firmware dated 1/24/2018 version 3.11.2350.0

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heads up, not surprising that this Firmware update does NOT change the state of the Spectre override setting.

If you previously, as advised, disabled Spectre variant 2 then you will have to enable it and reboot to have the protection from this new firmware.

Performance with this firmware should be better IMO than the previous firmware Spectre patch. Passmark still doesn't like it but here's why I think it's not at bad as before.

First of all the passmark total score is -17% with the latest firmware vs -18.4% with the previous.
However there is what I think is an anomaly with Passmark getting very bad 2D Graphics scores which is negatively affecting the Total score so IMO the Total score should be higher.

More good news with this latest firmware. The 3D graphics, memory, disk, & CPU scores all improved with this latest firmware. Given this is directly related to memory access and management we could surmise the memory score would be the most significant.

The Memory score improved 5.6% from the previous firmware, down only 2.8% from baseline vs -8.3% with the previous Spectre patched firmware.

CPU performance improved 0.54% from baseline vs -1.7% with previous firmware or 2.24% improvement from previous firmware.

Disk performance is also up 3.4% from the previous firmware.

Disregarding the atrocious -47% 2D graphics performance in Passmark which I think must be some sort of test specific anomaly the overall performance may not be significantly or noticeably different than the baseline performance from before any Meltdown/Spectre patches were applied.

YMMV.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After using this for a coupe days I don't notice any lag at all like was present with the previous firmware. I never experienced any of the rebooting so I can't really comment on that although I can confirm there hasn't been any with this either.

plop28

Hello, new FW deployed yesterday in France.
Small Bench w/o and w/ Spectre protection
upload_2018-2-23_11-31-24.png

SP3 i7 8GB 256GB