What's new

New Surface Pro 3-Heating Issues

Hsk

I just bought my new Surface Pro 3 (i5, 8GB RAM) a few days ago, and it came yesterday so I tried it out. I have been extremely conscious of heating problems in my devices lately, so I downloaded REALtemp to gauge my CPU temperature. While browsing around or just sitting I get about 43-50C; playing Hearthstone puts me up to low 70s, and World of Warcraft (on lowest settings of course) puts me at spikes of 83C with high fan usage. Should I be worried or are these numbers pretty normal?

Thanks.

bluegrass

Welcome to the forum HSK. You really should do some searching around the forum for heat related posts. This subject has been beat to death. The bottom line is YES the computer heats up and NO you don't have to worry about it. Safeguards are built in the design of the computer not to let it overheat and damage anything. You made your first mistake by downloading an app to monitor the temperature. It is just going to make you wonder and worry more. Just use your computer and enjoy it. You'll find out soon enough the fun it can be and what you can and can't do on it. Enjoy your SP3.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
At around 90C throttling will kick in until you get down to 80C, your numbers are fine...

Paulskpt

Three days ago we bought a Surface Pro 3 for my wife. It is a model 1631 (i5, 128GB, 4GB RAM). I like it sofar, except the fact that, yesterday night, when I was playing a solitaire game from the Windows Store: the Microsoft Solitaire Collection app, the Surface Pro 3 warmed-up quite a bit. Too much I think. I almost cannot believe that a cardgame uses that much of CPU power, making that the Surface Pro 3 gets heated up so much. I did not experience this heating up when using any of the other apps in Windows 8.1. Maybe the excessive heating up is due to the way the card game is programmed. Strange, during the time I played this card game I performed quite moderate, maybe more slow (it was late!), so at least I was not pushing the system to a limit. Would like to hear experiences from other users of this board.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three days ago we bought a Surface Pro 3 for my wife. It is a model 1631 (i5, 128GB, 4GB RAM). I like it sofar, except the fact that, yesterday night, when I was playing a solitaire game from the Windows Store: the Microsoft Solitaire Collection app, the Surface Pro 3 warmed-up quite a bit. Too much I think. I almost cannot believe that a cardgame uses that much of CPU power, making that the Surface Pro 3 gets heated up so much. I did not experience this heating up when using any of the other apps in Windows 8.1. Maybe the excessive heating up is due to the way the card game is programmed. Strange, during the time I played this card game I performed quite moderate, maybe more slow (it was late!), so at least I was not pushing the system to a limit. Would like to hear experiences from other users of this board.
That game and another MS title I forget at the moment are incredibly bad... inefficient/poorly coded. so yeah its not you or you SP3. Amazingly I have used Solitaire as a poorman's stress test for years. :)

Paulskpt

Hi GreyFox7, tnx for your swift reply. Aha, this confirms what I was thinking. So, we will throw this game out and look for a replacement.