What's new

New Surface Pro 3 User

From A Buick 8

Hello to all you nice folks. I just recently bought a second hand 64gb Surface Pro 3. I am sure I will have lots of questions, this is my first Surface product and my first Windows computer since I bought (about 4 years ago) a second hand PC that had Vista installed on it. The other computer in the house is a Mac. I currently have a iPad that I will be passing down to my wife.

I am pretty excited about the Surface, I was wanting something "more" than a tablet so the Surface seems to be a good fit.

My first step when I get the Surface ((should come tomorrow) will be to load windows 10, any other suggestions.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Sounds like a plan, but get the basic configurations done if it doesn't come with 10 on it. You may also, (possibly), need some updates to 8.1 first.

leeshor

That's what it sounded like. ;)

I would be surprised if it actually comes with 8.1 instead of 10. But depending on the age of 8.1 there are some (pre) 10 patches that will need to be installed and you need to be certain it has activated.

ScottyS

When Win10 was officially released it wouldn't install on my SP3. So I did a restore to Win8.1 from a USB recovery drive I had previously made. As soon as the new clean version of Win8.1 was running it told me there were over 300 updates to install. I let it do that (only took about 1/2 hour) and immediately after it told me Win10 upgrade was ready to download and install. It's been running great ever since. I definitely recommend letting Win8 update all it wants before upgrading to Win10. As @leeshor said there "are some (pre) 10 patches that will need to be installed".

OP
From A Buick 8

From A Buick 8

I received the Surface, it already has Windows 10 on it. The problem I have now is i need the password from the guy I bought it from to log onto Windows. I do not see a way to restore the surface to it's original factory setting

leeshor

If the seller left it with a password on it, he was probably not all that sharp. Is there a way to get in touch with the seller?

OP
From A Buick 8

From A Buick 8

If the seller left it with a password on it, he was probably not all that sharp. Is there a way to get in touch with the seller?
I have sent him an email requesting the password. Just wondering if there is another way to just wipe everything and go back to factory settings.

I tried holding down the shift key and restarting, but I did not see the option to restore as new in the menus available after it restarted.