What's new

Solved New Surface Pro 3 Won't Charge

Dixiedoo74

I'm searching for answers before I just return my new Surface Pro 3 - I'll give all the details below in the hopes that someone else had a similar experience, or can provide me with advice.

I bought my Surface Pro 3 on Friday from Best Buy. Over the weekend, I backed up all of my files from my old laptop to transfer them to the SP3. Because I thought that hooking up an external hard drive would drain the battery faster, I plugged in my SP3 to the wall so that there wouldn't be an interruption in the file transfer. I connected my external hard drive to start the transfer. After leaving it for about 30 minute, I noticed it was going into power-save mode so I changed the power settings to never go into power-save mode when it was plugged in (just so it wouldn't interrupt the file transfer).

After about 60 minutes, I went to check on the status - the screen was black, and there was no light on the power supply. I pressed the power button: the keyboard lit up, the light on the power supply came on, and a large picture of a low battery charge symbol appeared. This lasted for about 5 secs, and then the SP3 turned off again (as did the light on the power supply).

I contacted Microsoft support, and the rep concluded that the power supply was bad. They are shipping a new one to me (it should be here in 6-8 business days - crazy they can't overnight something like that, but that's another story). I was skeptical, so I went to Best Buy and bought a new power supply. Same thing as above: I plug it in, light on the power supply connector does not come on. I press the power button on the SP3, and I get a large low battery symbol for about 5 seconds. After trying out a brand-new power supply, my hypothesis is that the battery in the SP3 is not operating properly, and not taking a charge.

I am ready to return this SP3 and get my money back, which I hate because I really liked using it for the 3 days it worked! Before I do this, I have some questions:

1. Has anyone else had anything similar happen? If so, what was the problem and how did you resolve it?

2. I charged it fully on Friday when I first brought it home, but didn't drain the battery fully before starting this process with my external hard drive today. Was that a mistake that compromised the integrity of the battery?

3. Could I have done anything wrong by turning off the power-save mode while transferring files from my external HD while having it plugged into the wall? I can't imagine this would have been outside of the standard operating conditions of the SP3, but stranger things have happened.

4. Am I being inpatient? Should I just leave it plugged in overnight and see if the battery starts accepting the charge overnight?

5. Is the battery inside the SP3 dead? If so, should I just return it at this point (I have 12 more days left in my return window at Best Buy)?

Thank you in advance for any helpful responses!

seyclone

Don't Hesitate - return it at your first opportunity. If you can - back it up. It doesn't sound like you have the power available to do that. Best Buy is very good about returns, as long as you "follow the rules".

nipponham

The light on the charging adapter turns on when it’s inserted in the port regardless of whether SP3 is on or off, fully charged or not, so the fact that it turns off indicates that it’s not being recognized. And if you’ve already tried two different PSUs, it definitely sounds like it’s a battery and/or connector port problem. As for your specific questions:
  1. I’ve not experienced this, but have heard of SP3 not charging properly because of bad PSU or firmware. Did you even get a chance to update the firmware? Because there was a specific update that addressed charging problems.
  2. Not at all.
  3. I’m not sure what you’re referring to when you say “power-save mode”, but I’m assuming you’re talking about not letting the machine go to sleep through battery management options. I don’t see how changing anything caused your charging issues.
  4. Sure, leave plugged in overnight. Can’t hurt. It might be take a trickle charge.
  5. SP3 turned on, even if briefly, correct? Then it’s not dead, (although it could be on its last legs). It could be a bad battery or bad port. In any case, it sounds like the problem is with the device itself and the charger so my best advice would be to exchange it.

grumpy

There really is no point in experimenting with it. Even if it does take a charge, would you really trust it. Take it (and the extra charger) back for a REFUND and purchase the SP3 again. This will give you another full 14 days to fully test the new SP3. And enjoy the free spare charger from MS for your troubles.;)

mtalinm

I had this problem with mine at first. what helped was to let it charge with the power off until it reached a full charge. then things were fine. I don't know whether that will help, sorry. an exchange is probably in order.

OP
D

Dixiedoo74

Thank you all for your replies so far!

I left it plugged in overnight, and no luck - it's not charging at all. It is packed up and ready to return to Best Buy. I hope I have better luck with the next one :)

OP
D

Dixiedoo74

Thanks everyone! I exchanged the dead SP3 for a new one today. I am letting it charge fully while it is off before I attempt anything with it. I can't wait to use it tomorrow

OP
D

Dixiedoo74

Update: I got my new SP3 up and running, and I'm very pleased so far! Thank you all again for your replies - you helped convince me to give it another chance, and I'm very happy I did!