What's new

sjpluto

My new surface pro's battery only last 5-6 hours, is it normal? And I also got the auto hibernate issue.:(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That depends on usage - I'm running Windows Insider Fast and Office 365 ProPlus Insider Fast which tend to degrade battery life and I'm getting 8 hours on average.

Things that impact Battery Life on Windows 10 - Chrome, 3rd Party AV/Security Suites, Flash, Running with High Brightness, Using Vista/XP era Win32 Applications or Applications that are newer but still use standards from that era (i.e iTunes, VLC Desktop).

Gayan

Hi My New Surface Pro (5) Also has a battery life ab out 5-6 Hours. what I want to know is that normal.
It was advertise as 13 Hours, at what configurations would it work for 13 hours.
thanks

everalm

Make a holding directory on the C drive lets say C:\Holding
Open up Notepad
Paste the following in to the screen

Powercfg /batteryreport
Powercfg /sleepstudy
Powercfg /energy

File....Save As , select File Type "All files", save into your new directory as power.bat

Open an administrator command shell (type cmd in the menu bar, right click, run as Administrator)

Change to the C:\Holding directory

type power, hit return, wait approx. 90 seconds until the tasks have run

You will now have 3 HTML files you can open in a browser to read

Battery-Report
Energy-Report
SleepStudy-Report

These will tell you the battery life, estimates usage etc. of the battery, what is using up power and the status of sleep/hibernation etc.

This will be you first stop to see what is eating power, if you have an issue with the battery etc.

Ekhangel

Mine would last about 8 hours with light load (basically just typing text with occasional websearch), so I imagine it would go down to 5-6 hrs if doing something heavier too. The battery is not particularly impressive.

I did read somewhere about people getting better battery life after fixing the auto-hibernate issue, though. So maybe try to focus on this first. Contact the AnswerDesk guys for help - they helped me with my auto-hibernate issue by reinstalling some firmware and re-imaging the device.

Hi My New Surface Pro (5) Also has a battery life ab out 5-6 Hours. what I want to know is that normal.
It was advertise as 13 Hours, at what configurations would it work for 13 hours.
thanks

Research how Microsoft did it, but IIRC it was WiFi OFF, playing video on loop at maybe half brightness or less.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks
Up to 13.5 hours of video playback. Testing conducted by Microsoft in April 2017 using preproduction Intel Core i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM device. Testing consisted of full battery discharge during video playback. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network and Auto-Brightness disabled. Battery life varies significantly with settings, usage and other factors

tuchas

It's about 40% better than my SP4, which was a pathetic 4-6 hours depending on what I was working on.