What's new

New Surface Pro having a couple of issues need a little help...

sillyrabbitt123

Hi great community. great product.

two things I would really appreciate any insight or help with

1- the touch type cover sometimes stops working. if I pull it off the unit and pop it back that brings it back to life. what is the way to fix this? do I have a bum keyboard?

2- I love firefox but the type is SO SMALL what is the best practice or best way to use FF with the surface pro? Explorer looks great but I still want FF with larger view/footprint on the screen.

thanks for the help!!!

bertopl

for #1, I tried about 4 different type / touch covers and read about other people having the problem. I don't believe they are defects in the keyboards since I tried multiple ones but it was mainly the trackpad that would stop functioning. I was doing the same as you and unplugging / replugging the keyboard to bring it back to life. I found out that when the trackpad stops responding, if I just hit a key on the keyboard, such as the control key or whatever, or actually do a real click on the trackpad, that the trackpad would come back to life. not ideal but it beat unplugging and replugging my keyboard in the middle of class!! I'm hoping they can fix this through a firmware update or something. can't help you with #2, don't use FF.

lowboydrvr

Check your display settings to see if it is still set to "Larger - 150%(default)". To check your settings, on the modern UI, type "Display" (make sure "Settings" is selected for the search) and then click on "Display" (should be top icon on second column). Change from "Medium - 125%" to "Larger - 150%(default)".

malberttoo

the touch type cover sometimes stops working. if I pull it off the unit and pop it back that brings it back to life. what is the way to fix this? do I have a bum keyboard?

Mine does the same thing from time to time, and I've seen others complain of it as well. I've not found a permanent solution. I hold down one corner of the keyboard, raise the Surface up slightly so it disconnects from the keyboard, and put them back together. About 3 seconds, and I never even have to pick the Surface up all the way.

Annoying nonetheless!

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

THANKS everyone for trying to help me! I will try the suggestions with the touch type. Hopefully it does get fixed with an update.

I will also check out the FF addons and play around with them. I agree to the metro is perfect so is the desktop version of IE. I might just have to drop FF but I like it so I will see maybe use both.

thanks again [now to keep this surface or wait for S2]???? I am liking it so much I might not be able to wait without it

OP
S

sillyrabbitt123

What is the best touch type cover to get? Are there any third party good ones?

also I tried no squint and I do like it. I was wondering if there was a way on IE to make the open tabs go to the bottom instead of the top?

thanks!