What's new

New Surface Pro in SP3 Docking Station

ashepherd

I use my SP3 as a desktop replacement, but am finding it a bit slow on applications like photo editing. So I want to upgrade to the New Surface Pro. But I love the SP3 docking station and hate the port replicator device that MS are now offering instead. Some users report that the new SP does work in the SP3 docking station if used with the SP4 adapter, but MS in the UK do not officially support this and will only supply the adapter to registered owners of an SP4. Is there any way round this?

SteveL

Hello ashepherd, I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to share my experience with my Surface Pro i7 and the new port replicator. I purchased my i7 for exactly the reason you stated. I find that this i7 is great for photo editing and use it often when I am out on a photo trek to run Photoshop CS5, Photomatic Pro, and Luminar. I have found this Surface to be half as fast as my i7-6700K desktop in some benchmarking. I edit images from a 12bit 24Mpix camera and the processing time is quick enough that I have never been concerned with it. I may have waited 15 sec but typically only a few seconds. Also, do you know that the i7 has a true 10 bit video system? It looks very nice. I like my port replicator and am glad I have it as I often connect two USB3 SSD's and a wireless mouse. This system is working really well for me.

In case the new Surface Pro is your first experience with a 2k-4k screen you will need to use file properties compatibility "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and Scaling performed by System (Enhanced) to get the apps to have font and icons larger than miniscule. Some apps are updated but older ones just don't like high res screens.
Happy Trails
Steve

IMG_0585.JPG
I use my SP3 as a desktop replacement, but am finding it a bit slow on applications like photo editing. So I want to upgrade to the New Surface Pro. But I love the SP3 docking station and hate the port replicator device that MS are now offering instead. Some users report that the new SP does work in the SP3 docking station if used with the SP4 adapter, but MS in the UK do not officially support this and will only supply the adapter to registered owners of an SP4. Is there any way round this?

That adapter thing is just marketing to promote the new dock. The SP fits nicely with SP3

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 8687

That adapter thing is just marketing to promote the new dock. The SP fits nicely with SP3

Like the photo. Purely in that you can really see the work Microsoft has done to the edges of the surface. Looks like a good improvement

Microsoft only charge postage for the adaptor, so it really isn't a very good marketing ploy :)

Clintro

I read somewhere that the New Surface fits that dock better than the SP4. I wish I could find one of the docks for cheap.

OP
A

ashepherd

Hello ashepherd, I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to share my experience with my Surface Pro i7 and the new port replicator. I purchased my i7 for exactly the reason you stated. I find that this i7 is great for photo editing and use it often when I am out on a photo trek to run Photoshop CS5, Photomatic Pro, and Luminar. I have found this Surface to be half as fast as my i7-6700K desktop in some benchmarking. I edit images from a 12bit 24Mpix camera and the processing time is quick enough that I have never been concerned with it. I may have waited 15 sec but typically only a few seconds. Also, do you know that the i7 has a true 10 bit video system? It looks very nice. I like my port replicator and am glad I have it as I often connect two USB3 SSD's and a wireless mouse. This system is working really well for me.

In case the new Surface Pro is your first experience with a 2k-4k screen you will need to use file properties compatibility "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and Scaling performed by System (Enhanced) to get the apps to have font and icons larger than miniscule. Some apps are updated but older ones just don't like high res screens.
Happy Trails
Steve

Dear Steve

Thank you for the information. I like the SP3 dock because it holds everything together on my desktop, including a hard disc drive, without any loose cables.

Best wishes

Alan