What's new

New Surface Pro Marvell Avastar 350N Wi-Fi drivers 14.69.24044.150

terente0081

Microsoft released new Marvell Wi-Fi drivers with supposedly fixed Miracast.
They are packed with the latest firmware package update for Surface Pro 2, available here.
Enjoy!

OP
T

terente0081

I did some testing hoping these would fix my intermittent disconnect issue that happens on my home 802.11n connection... it's a no go. It stays connected as long as there's no heavy traffic but as soon as I try downloading or streaming Youtube it disconnects then immediately reconnects.
It's a shame cause I really like the SP I feel MS could have made a better WiFi choice, my Qualcomm Atheros and Intel cards play nicely wherever I take them.

haman

Updated two my Surface Pros (version 1) running Windows 8.1 and they do indeed fix the Miracast issue.

Taswegian

Hi, this driver version is the one that is already installed on my SP2 pro. It fails to recognise my WiFi Hotspot on my Nokia N9, won't connect to my existing home network. However it does connect directly to my wirless internet router and work faultlessly.
Rather annoying that I can't use my phone hotspot...

Any ideas anyone?

tas

demandarin

This pro2 driver works on pro1 also? Any direct link to driver itself? I have 14.69.24040.136 installed. 8/10/2013 date. I thought that was newest one for pro1 so far.

OP
T

terente0081

I think that unfortunately for us these Marvell drivers are very picky with the wireless network configuration.. we have to wait for updated version of these drivers and keep on hoping these issues will be fixed sooner rather than later.

Related to my/our WiFi issues I am beginning to think it may have something to do with Intel's / Microsoft's USB 3.0 drivers.
In Device Manager, if the devices are viewed by Connection we can see the Marvell 350N adapter is plugged in Intel USB 3.0 extensible Host Controller.
Screenshot (1).png
Intel admitted to have problems with 7 & 8 Series USB 3.0 controllers and I had problems with the same controller on my laptop, an Asus N550JV and an external USB 3.0 HDD that kept on disconnecting and that didn't stop until I plugged the HDD in an external USB hub.
Basically, I noticed the same behavior between the 2 different machines. When high bandwidth was required they would drop the connected device. In both cases the device was connected in the same USB 3.0 controller, the extensible host controller - 0100 (Microsoft).

I'm interested to know if someone who doesn't have the issue has a different USB 3.0 driver installed.

OP
T

terente0081

This pro2 driver works on pro1 also? Any direct link to driver itself? I have 14.69.24040.136 installed. 8/10/2013 date. I thought that was newest one for pro1 so far.

Yes it works but I have no direct link to the driver itself, just the whole package from Microsoft. It's a 158Mb download in form of a zip file that you need to extract then you can delete everything but the Marvell folder. Both BT and WLAN drivers are there, version 14.69.24044.150 dated September 19th 2013.

olimjj

The foundation is the same: OP= 8.1, Marvell AVASTAR 350N chip. I would however recommend you update the Marvell BT Radio Adapter driver as well, which is found in the same Marvell folder

rmblue2

WPA Entrepise 2

Hi guys!
Proud owner of a SP2 & first post here :)

I have a big problem connecting to my University's wireless network (eduroam) secured with WPA Enterprise 2. It connects with every other protocol without problem.
All the configurations and credentials are ok, I get a dhcp address but no other communication, meaning no internet whatsoever.

I start to think the problem is this Marvell driver. Do you guys think I will have success rolling back the driver?

Anyway this problem needs to be addressed but I'm not even sure where to report it, or even concerning Marvell or Microsoft.

Any Feed will be appreciated

Cheers
-Rui

kristalsoldier

Hi guys!
Proud owner of a SP2 & first post here :)

I have a big problem connecting to my University's wireless network (eduroam) secured with WPA Enterprise 2. It connects with every other protocol without problem.
All the configurations and credentials are ok, I get a dhcp address but no other communication, meaning no internet whatsoever.

I start to think the problem is this Marvell driver. Do you guys think I will have success rolling back the driver?

Anyway this problem needs to be addressed but I'm not even sure where to report it, or even concerning Marvell or Microsoft.

Any Feed will be appreciated

Cheers
-Rui

Interesting! I have also been experiencing problems with connecting to eduroam though I am using a Surface2. Connects to other networks just fine.

OP
T

terente0081

Many of Surface's conectivity issues have to do with wireless network configuration. It likes TKIP more than AES, 802.11g more than 801.11n. It's not driver related, there were many wi-fi driver updates and none of them did any good. You can try one of the older drivers, pre Win8 cause it may have something to do with how Windows 8 handles wireless.
I'm also thinking it has something to do or it's related to USB 3.0 drivers since our Marvell wireless chip is basically plugged into the internal USB hub along with the SDXC card reader that we have to unplug sometimes just to start the computer. I had problems with that USB controller and I'm not the only one either. Too bad I can't install an Intel chipset update, it won't let me..