What's new

New Surface Pro Owner Experience So Far...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate your enthusiasm but I would not be able to reproduce any of your bugs as I have the Surface Pro 2 and the Surface 2. If you want to get down to root cause analysis, do a complete Reset, install all available updates (don't install any legacy or 3rd party software) and attempt to reproduce if the bugs are present still RMA the device. If the bugs are not there, install one piece of your 3rd party software at time, try to reproduce the bug and so on...

This is what we do when we are creating the Gold Image for a corporate roll-out with legacy or LOB Applications. Typically if the bugs manifest themselves after the install of another program, you look for the compatibility issue and remediate. With over 700,000 Win32 Programs that have been created it opens up a very complex situation.

Many Programs install TSR's that impact everything from Power Management to Video.

drolem

For example, hibernate does not work! It crashes often enough to not be useful. That is not an esoteric feature, but a major and often used (if it didn't crash) standard feature. It's kind of hard to accept given that MS controls the hardware and the software on this device.
More often than not, hibernate issues are cause by drivers not written by MS.

If you have a crash, pl;ease post the the bugcheck image from event viewer.

Buelligan

Well may I say this. I have stated this before. Like jnj said, this is an enthusiast site and we who don't have the issues you describe and are passionate about our devices and don't appreciate your immediate list of "issues" as all MS "bugs". I have had my Surface Pro I 128 for almost a year now and I HAVE not experienced the "issues" you describe as "bugs" with my device. My hibernate works just fine. That's not to say that you "issues" don't exist or that your "issues" aren't experienced by others. But not everyone has them, so to make a blanket statement that the Surface Pro is such a buggy mess and how dare Microsoft not have Quality control over these "issues" doesn't go over well with the "majority" of users that don't experience these "issues". This is NOT the "walled garden" of Apple but a fairly open playground for many third party and many other potential "issue" causing entities. To me, it's pretty amazing that this OS allows such diversity and manages to work so well in so many cases. So may I suggest to you and any others that come to this "enthusiast" site with these issues. Try to ask, who has similar experiences and how they were dealt with and not come here with the attitude that you are displeased because Microsoft somehow sold an underdeveloped "buggy" piece of useful device. Here at work we have 25 years of experience IT tech who just spent $1800 buying a Pro 2 with docking station and many other accessories. He has since sold every other device he owned (tablet, laptop and desktop) because he has experienced the "Greatest Device" he has ever owned. He has yet to experience these so called "bugs" that you disgruntled buyers jump up and down screaming MS screwed them by not fixing these so called "obvious" bugs when not everyone has the same "issues".

So please feel free to post your experiences and thank you for your input, all is welcome. And please don't hold our "enthusiasm" against us LOL.

Have a Great Day!

Devolver

Isn't that what he did? He listed his issues, asked for the communities opinion, and finally stated that he liked the Surface Pro and was having a hard time returning it because he actually likes it.

But thanks for being civil Buelligan, it's good to see that rudeness is not a general problem. I have just ordered a SP2 and hopefully might get aid or opinions in the future without fear of hostility.

In regards to the hibernation issues, are you sure its not the settings? I know my win7 desktop is set to awaken through key press, but I have deactivated that option on my win7 laptop, so it only wakes with the power button.

OP
S

skellington

I am trying to determine how many people are effected by the bugs. There are some usage patterns that would tend not to hit the main bugs often. That's why I posted repro steps for all of the known (to me) bugs in another thread. There is a (small) chance that it's my machine only, which is why I'm verifying all the repro steps on other machines (at the microsoft store). I don't have a SP2, but many of the bugs I reported are still actively being discusses in the SP2 area.

Buelligan

Isn't that what he did? He listed his issues, asked for the communities opinion, and finally stated that he liked the Surface Pro and was having a hard time returning it because he actually likes it.

But thanks for being civil Buelligan, it's good to see that rudeness is not a general problem. I have just ordered a SP2 and hopefully might get aid or opinions in the future without fear of hostility.

In regards to the hibernation issues, are you sure its not the settings? I know my win7 desktop is set to awaken through key press, but I have deactivated that option on my win7 laptop, so it only wakes with the power button.

Yes and no. He did list them, but sort of, but with an "air" of how crappy it is that Microsoft dare put out this thing without addressing these very obvious issues. While I agree that some of these issue do exist and that they may need to be addressed, not all of these tablets seem to be having these issues. So I was trying to convey that, instead of coming here with kind of a "march on Microsoft with pitchfork and torches" attitude, one might get a better response from a "gee, is everyone having these issues and can someone help me figure them out" attitude. I am in no way implying that was the OP's intent or even said it that way, just that we get them here that way and it get's some a little fired up. So even just a hint of that attitude, from frustration, gets some resistance. Just because these issues are posted frequently and seem to "appear" to be common does not mean they necessarily are.

"So you guys have no problem with the fact that a brand new SP with all updates, a year after it was release, still has major (or at least significant) bugs?"

Comments like this give the appearance we are somehow complacent or just stupid to accept something that doesn't exist for us. Just because he and some others have these issues does not automatically make it so for all users.

Trust me, I am in no way defending rude replies, I'll let others decide which is rude and which is not. I only wish to help everyone realize this site is a valuable resource for information and if they "temper" their frustrations when they post, they can possibly get great information to make this, in my opinion one of the greatest attempts at a "true hybrid" device, actually work for them.

Last edited:

dale_cooper

Rather than start a new thread... I'll add on to this one with my initial thoguhts after an hour of use. I picked up my surface pro 64gb lightly used with type cover. The whole reason I bought the surface pro is that I've realized I really like typing on a keyboard and/or having a more true-computer-esque experience. I'd rather have 70% computer and 30% tablet than the other way around; mainly because I use the device 90% of the time at home, lounging around. For the price of what you can get the SP1 for now, it just seemed like an insane value. So anyways, last night I installed all updates (I think - which then prompted the 8.1 update and I updated to 8.1).

I'm a device whore and have been in search for a combination of devices that work for me. My fiance has a macbook air (which really, I love) - I sold a laptop I had a while ago so I've been playing with different tablets in the 300-500 range. nexus 10, ipad 4, note 8, note 10.1 2014, ipad mini retina, dell venue 8 pro. Everything is a compromise (even the SP).

My initial surface pro thoughts - I CAN use this quite easily on the couch or chair because of how I sit down, even with the type cover attached, its really not a big deal. phew - that was a worry of mine. Its quite heavy but the kickstand even with just the single stage makes such a difference as to how you use the device both on the lap, on a desk or counter, around the house, etc. I HATE holding a tablet, so I always have a stand, usually a moko slim case. On the flip side, I love the feel of a naked device. Kickstand solves this. Also i think the weight of the surface actually anchors it better against my legs if I have my legs slanted.

The device is very snappy, what a relief to have no lag (and it should be quick, its an ivy bridge i5). The stylus is VERY WELL DONE. Better than the note devices, just superb feel - one note is awesome.

Screen or pixel density is perfect for me, it looks really good. The touch sensitivity of the panel even with my fingers - KILLS the venue 8 pro, which made windows 8.1 very annoying to use. Touches are very accurate on the SP.

Now, the only thing that gives me hesitation is battery life. Looks like I'm going to be around 4-5 hours. The way I use the device, I dont think this will be a major issue but I really wish it was longer and had the capability to give more play time on a single charge. HOWEVER, if this becomes annoying, I think I'll end up getting a yoga 11s (which I'm very very interested in).

Having a regular computer and thus things are just easier to do. OMG using a NON-mobile browser, what a relief!!! I relaly like the new IE and I LOVE browsing the full desktop version of websites and having all content work. After always using my phone or tablets to browse sites, the full desktop version of sites is awesome. Or because its a pc, it finds everything in my network no issues - the wdtv live hub, the wireless printer (which the macbook air will not find for whatever reason), etc. For the price of what an android or ios tablet costs, I have a real computer. Although I don't necessarily need a real computer all the time, its nice to have as a companion to my fiance's macbook air (and not hold hers hostage). By the way, I also have an x230 thinkpad for work but that thing is locked down and I can't do anything on it like installing software and what not (what a shame).

I feel somewhat compelled to make a youtube review of these things because the method in which "professional" sites have reviewed the surface pro series is ridiculous for the most part. ITS NOT AN IPAD. ITS A COMPUTER, but really its a surface pro. It is its own category of product if you ask me. Battery life could kill the joy of using it for me, but its a VERY compelling product at the current price you can get them at.

Question - I turned the screen off last night by pushing the power button (which should then go into sleep). I wake up this morning and the battery is nearly drained completely. I'm wondering if my venue 8 pro settings for 8.1 (tied to my microsoft account) carried over and the device thinks it should never sleep. Or I'm experiencing a bug that seems like alot of surface pro 2 people have. I guess I'll just have to see what happens tonight with sleeping the device.

OP
S

skellington

I'm the OP of this thread and agree with what you've said.

IE11 is pretty darn good and the metro version is way nicer than other tablet browsers that are buggy and limited, screen is great, etc.

Sleep, hibernate, and other issues are well documented. I'm not sure if the recent firmware update for SP1 fixed anything. I haven't had time to test it.

dale_cooper

Another update...

I really do like the surface pro; unfortunately I'm now on the fence of limited battery life killing the whole deal. The form factor of being a tablet is partly a negative..... because it makes you think its a tablet ( its really an ultrabook if u ask me), and therefore YOU WANT tablet battery life.

Also, maybe its just me but its really awkward to use with the charger plugged in, unless I'm at my desk. Its not like a typical ultrabook/laptop with a long cord that I can use on my lap plugged in.

I guess I either always get used to "hibernating/shutting down" when not in use, or I always have it plugged in. Either way, an annoying behavior change i guess.

All that said, still a helluva hardware package for the price.

Buelligan

Another update...

I really do like the surface pro; unfortunately I'm now on the fence of limited battery life killing the whole deal. The form factor of being a tablet is partly a negative..... because it makes you think its a tablet ( its really an ultrabook if u ask me), and therefore YOU WANT tablet battery life.

Also, maybe its just me but its really awkward to use with the charger plugged in, unless I'm at my desk. Its not like a typical ultrabook/laptop with a long cord that I can use on my lap plugged in.

I guess I either always get used to "hibernating/shutting down" when not in use, or I always have it plugged in. Either way, an annoying behavior change i guess.

All that said, still a helluva hardware package for the price.

Welcome, glad you seem to enjoy it for the most part. Yes all devices have something in the cons column and the Surface is no exception. I have had my Pro 1 for almost a year now. I have never owned a tablet before so maybe that's why the whole battery life issue doesn't bother me. I am almost never more than 4 hours from a power source. I keep it plugged in until I have a meeting and then it has always outlasted the meetings. As far as awkward while charging. I find that the form fitting charging plug, while difficult to attach sometimes, very un-noticeable. The cord just kind of flows down the side. I use it at night in the recliner all the time and never even notice the cord. Unlike the Galaxy tab my mother got a year or so ago. That thing had a bulky click in plug at the bottom that interfered with putting it up on the stand. I always felt it was susceptible to breakage also. But the Surface plug seems much less prone to damage. I feel the low profile, magnetic plug with the cord running parallel to the body of the tablet is far more user friendly than any other type plug where the cord sticks out perpendicular to the body. Plus the extra usb port to keep my Windows Phone next to me and charging is great as well!

I hope you find a way to cope with the battery life as I have. This machine has been a JOY to own over the last year. Made my high end gaming desktop all but obsolete, except for the iRacing.com simulation I built it for.

oriontc

ive just ordered mine and fully expect to have to tinker with it, it's no different to my laptop/desktop in regards to that, part of the whole experience for me is being able to mess around with it unlike closed OS's like iOS etc. bugs like you mentioned are probably pretty curable altho should really be fixed with updates by now.

the power issue one for unplugged/plugged can be done in windows 7 for sure... you have the options "on battery" and "plugged in", unless windows 8 took a step back that is....

battery life is to be expected, it's a laptop inside a tablet casing, even so im sure you could stretch the life out by changing the power modes/display brightness.

even my nexus 7 has sleep wifi drain issues etc.