What's new

New Surface Pro User from Texas!

LinkRS

Howdy Everyone,

I picked my Microsoft Surface Pro this past Sunday, and am stoked to have a "real" tablet, vices an over-grown smart phone. I currently have a 4th gen iPad and am evaluating replacing it with the Surface Pro. So far, I have really enjoyed the web-browsing experience on the Pro, vices the iPad. I look forward to learning and interacting with this forum. Thanks!

Rich :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Congrats and welcome Rich. Be sure to get the all of the updates including some big one today.

OP
L

LinkRS

Ho Bosamar,

I chose the Pro primarily due to performance and the ability to run desktop apps. I have all of my media in iTunes, and purchased quite a bit from it. On the Pro, I installed the desktop version of iTunes, and voila! I have my iTunes library available on it. I spent over a month researching, reading articles and reading forums (just found this one on Sunday) trying to evaluate the RT vs. the Pro, and if I really wanted one. The deciding factor to give it a try is Office. There is nothing close to Office available for the iPad, and with the Surface, you get the real thing. Rumor has it that Microsoft is going to release a version of Office for the iPad, but they haven't yet. Thanks!

Rich S.

bosamar

The deciding factor to give it a try is Office. There is nothing close to Office available for the iPad, and with the Surface, you get the real thing.
Have you looked into Office 365 Home Premium? $99 per year and you can put it on 5 PCs.

OP
L

LinkRS

Hi Bosamar,

That is one option :) I am also considering Ofice 365 University, just plain Office 2013 Pro, or using an old unused Office 2010 Pro license. I am probably going to activate the Office 365 trial on it soon. Not sure which at this point. I am not sure I like the concept of having to pay for Office 365 every year, which is why the University version is tempting. However, I will be finished with grad school soon, and am not usre if the University license is good once I am no longer a student. Plus, that version only allows for 2 installs, vices the 5 that the Home Premium Package offers. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Rich

cali

Glad to read that you did your research before choosing your device. Hope you are still satisfied with your Pro.