What's new

new surface pro. What do I do first?

jonnym

Hello
I was looking for an Asus t100 transformer, when I came across a surface pro 1 64gb, manufacturer refurbished and described as A1 for £274.

I know the surface is far superior and took a punt, does it sound like a reasonable price?

I'm reading through the forum, but wondered if there were any tips on what to look out for in regards to common manufacturing faults etc.

Once I know the surface is OK what next? Do I take an image of the system or update the OS or somthing else. I will be using it with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse initially and have read that updating it without it being docked can be a problem, would the Bluetooth devices be OK instead?

And advice would be helpfull

Thanks

Jonnym

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only problem with updating not docked is you don't get the updates for the dock. Stated another way, the only way to update the dock is to run Windows Update while docked. If you don't have a dock it don't matter. The same generally applies to any other device if it's not attached.

The Surface comes with a Recovery Partition that can be used to Reset or Refresh to Factory Condition or Just reinstall Windows and retain your files.

The First thing you should do is apply all the updates.

Kuzma Volkov

Don't forget if you are going to use the pen with the surface. Wacom has improved drivers for it. Really wish the damn thing got those in windows update.

OP
J

jonnym

Great info thanks.

So if I buy a dock later on is that a problem? Would I have to factory reset and repete the update process?

Yes the pen is a big plus for me I have a samsung note phone and use the pen alot, but its a tad small. Is there a linky for those wacom drivers?

What do you think of the price? As I saw it was the last one avalible and bought it with minimal research.

Thanks again

Jonnym

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy the dock or not anytime you like you will not have to reset just run Windows update while docked. if you had a dock you should run Windows Update while docked periodically to catch any other updates that come out for the dock. Its not really necessary to do it every month and you can do regular Windows Updates at the same time or separately it doesn't matter.