What's new

New Surface Pro

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is most likely to level set - i.e. dropping the numbers so it doesn't matter and they can move into a refresh cycle throughout

Surface Book
Surface Pro
Surface Laptop
Surface (WOA)?

convergent

It is most likely to level set - i.e. dropping the numbers so it doesn't matter and they can move into a refresh cycle throughout

Surface Book
Surface Pro
Surface Laptop
Surface (WOA)?

Yes... they can go to something like Apple has done for years ... "Early 2015, Late 2016, etc.". Then there isn't an expectation of physical changes to the machine which seems like the Surface line is pretty steady on at this point.

Exhile

Numbering distinguishes previous, present and future models from each other like how the Samsung Galaxy S phone series and iPhone do. Then again Surface & Surface Pro models are not released annually. I wonder what the marketing ploy is to rename it the way it is. I still prefer it being called Surface Pro 5.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Numbering distinguishes previous, present and future models from each other like how the Samsung Galaxy S phone series and iPhone do. Then again Surface & Surface Pro models are not released annually. I wonder what the marketing ploy is to rename it the way it is. I still prefer it being called Surface Pro 5.
But this become wonky when we get to the Surface Pro 10 and beyond. My guess is in the next view years Windows 10 will become just Windows....

Exhile

Windows was called 1.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 97, 2000. Then they tried names like millennium, XP and Vista and then switched back to numbers like 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Microsoft's marketing department has decisions, decisions... Severs are named decently like 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 and 2016.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes... they can go to something like Apple has done for years ... "Early 2015, Late 2016, etc.". Then there isn't an expectation of physical changes to the machine which seems like the Surface line is pretty steady on at this point.
I don't like the way Apple does it. My feeling is it's intentionally deceptive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder why they dropped the "5"?

Well this is likely more of a 4.5 or 4.25. They should have called it R2 - Surface Pro 4r2.
The real upgrade to 5 will be the move to Cannon Lake but that may not release until 2018 so here we have a SP4 refresh to tide us over.

MickeyLittle

Windows was called 1.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 97, 2000. Then they tried names like millennium, XP and Vista and then switched back to numbers like 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Microsoft's marketing department has decisions, decisions... Severs are named decently like 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 and 2016.

Shame on you... Windows 97.... It was Windows 98 and everybody here "EVERYBODY" will agree that it was the best Windows OS ever released and you just mislabeled it! Unbelievable :D

Exhile

Shame on you... Windows 97.... It was Windows 98 and everybody here "EVERYBODY" will agree that it was the best Windows OS ever released and you just mislabeled it! Unbelievable :D
Whoops, my mistake. 97 was my grad year so that was probably why I put that in. :p