What's new

New to the Forum and Surface RT

Corrosive

Let me start by saying that I have tried just about every tablet/ultrabook setup and I really think the surface is a winner.

I am a 29 yr old law student who lives in Florida and tech has been a hobby/passion of mine for some time now. I am on the computer all the time researching and writing and needed something with enough power to not lag behind but something that had a battery that would last all day in class and in the library. I tried a few ultrabooks from dell, Lenovo, and asus but was put off by the lack of juice or major fan noise. I tried to get all of my work done from an android tablet (tf700t) and it could not cut it (really close though). I stalked the local craigslist looking for a surface RT because in all honesty, I didn't think it was worth its Microsoft store asking price with the keyboard and tax etc. I managed to find a brand new one that a guy won at a raffle and was willing to let it go for 400. I figured, why not. The reviews were really off putting actually. People seem to hate the surface RT and I think they are missing the point. Its not intended to be an ipad or true laptop replacement. Its intended to be more of a hybrid that can get work done while also being able to utilize tablet functionality and portability. I have been using mine for about a week now and could not be happier. The touch keyboard cover is genius and after a little learning curve, I type just as fast as a traditional keyboard. I am able to keep up in class and take notes in one note just as if I was on a traditional laptop. I have a quad core home computer with dedicated graphics so I have no complaints that I cant run .exe files and legacy apps. All in all, It kinda ticks me off to see the negative reviews an the reports of how much better the pro is because in all honesty... I don't think there is any advantage to someone like myself (Lower battery life and no dedicated GFX so I can't play games the way I want to anyway). Either way, that's enough of me ranting. I'm glad I found a good community where I can help add some tips/tricks that I come across and use some of the ones that other posters happen to post here.

Cheers!

Mike

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome Mike. I think you have discovered what we all have, that the Surface is a great piece of kit and the major reviews are biased or misinformed. There are several threads here regarding those issues as well as discussing how the first hand reviews of users are much more representative of reality. There are some great tips and tricks around the forum so take a read around.

JP

OP
C

Corrosive

Welcome Mike. I think you have discovered what we all have, that the Surface is a great piece of kit and the major reviews are biased or misinformed. There are several threads here regarding those issues as well as discussing how the first hand reviews of users are much more representative of reality. There are some great tips and tricks around the forum so take a read around.

JP

Right on! Thanks.

I have already been able to cure one of my biggest woes, flash on the sites that I go to that Microsoft does not consider "whitelist". I am now eagerly anticipating google chrome browser and the growth of the app market (that should come given enough time).

I am tempted to learn how to make an app so that I can get a dedicated win8 app for 8tracks (a music site that not many use but I cant live without).

bosamar

The RT is misunderstood! That comes mostly from folks who never used one or anti-microsoft people. Welcome to the forum!

willmech

Congrats on getting such a good deal on your Surface. Like you, I am a bit ticked off by how the Surface is being skewered by the media. If the iPad measured up to the bar set for the Surface, I would have bought one for myself ages ago (not knocking it, but it has it's limitations too).

ArnoldC

After what Google did to Microsoft, I don't think Chrome will ever hit the platform again.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

J515OP

Super Moderator
Chrome would be nice but it does seem unlikely. For that matter any alternative browser option would be good.

OP
C

Corrosive

Sucks that you guys don't expect chrome to come anytime soon. They have a windows 8 version that uses "metro mode" so I figured that maybe it would be in the pipeline.

I wonder how IE would get away with limiting competition? Wasn't there an issue back in the 90s where they were in trouble for only allowing IE to be the windows browser? Either way, IE is not that bad, but I just have everything synced on chrome and its super convenient.

ArnoldC

There is a European regulation against a single browser, so Microsoft will not limit it. The question is will somebody else make one.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express