What's new

New to the Forum and Surface RT

OP
C

Corrosive

There is a European regulation against a single browser, so Microsoft will not limit it. The question is will somebody else make one.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Board Express

Google makes $$ from the browser and such so odds are they will want to make one.

Something like this comes to mind.
If Browser$ > android tablet$ loss from people buying surface rt
Then I don't see why not

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well that is sort of the problem. Google is trying to build their own ecosystem and not give away the store by allowing users to access Google services on start up competition. Google and Microsoft have been bumping heads lately and Windows RT is a small user base so Google is essentially squeezing them out at the moment.

Google has even been slow to make Maps and YouTube apps available to Apple despite the very large user base to prove a point. Google makes plenty of money and if they loose a little now for a longer term play I am sure it isn't even a thought for them. Yes, if the opportunity becomes large enough they will probably make their services available to competing platforms but they seem far from that point on anything other than traditional Windows for PCs (no Modern UI apps). I do know a general Google search app is available but that is pretty minimal.

The ecosystem chess match is in full swing and the apps and services are the pieces on the board.

No Google Apps on Windows 8 and WP8: User base too small to invest in | BGR

The Google-Microsoft ecosystem war: a full history | The Verge

Still Seeking Resolution to Search Competition Issues - Microsoft on the Issues - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Microsoft Surprised Over Google Canning EAS Support

Jglnaz372

One thing I learned a long time ago, especially since the Internet boom the past 15 years or so, you should always rely on what you like and try before you buy if possible. Over time you discover websites, blogs, and forums you trust and believe in getting an honest opinion. You learn quickly that trolls and bias are alive and well. Opinion is fine, as long as it is honest. Problem is the lies and misinformation out there is immense. It is a problem when passion and "drawing a line" causes good honest people to become so irate and one sided no matter the topic. Very sad and scary at times. I have seen so many posters on many sites get drawn into heated arguments (posts) about the stupidest stuff that makes you shake your head. Surface is a good example.
I bought mine in late October last year. I knew before hand this was not a net book or laptop replacement. I liked it because it was different, had some cool innovations like the touch key pad cover, and kickstand. Setup was no harder or different then windows computers before. Reminded me of going from 95 to XP. Took some getting use to, some growing pains, but eventually 95 was forgotten and a remnant of the past. I remember how some new OS ' s had people ready to burn the MS corporate headquarters because the new systems were buggy, nothing worked right, lost valuable programs because updates were expensive. Back then it seemed people were more patient and figured in a few updates it would be better. Many were smart and waited until major changes and all the kinks were worked out. Now patience, in my opinion, is gone. Before products are out they are already declared crap and no good. How many saw those negative Surface reviews and the person admitted they did not even spend more then a minute on it? Huh?
I enjoy using the Surface. It does everything I need it for like web browsing, games, productivity. Might not be perfect for everyone, but I just need it for me, not "them" lol. Knowing that MS support for it will be for many years to come lets me know that this device will only become more user friendly and enjoyable.
Just as a small introduction I use to work in education and I have an iPad and Air laptop because of what our school system had available. Later we had both macs and windows computers. I like the iPad and use it more then anything else. I can say that as more apps are available for the Surface, I find myself on it more and more. Comparing the tablets is apples and oranges as far as I am concerned. I like both, they have advantages and disadvantages over each other, and I am just glad choices are out there for us. Imagine how dull this world with be with just one car to choose, one type of pizza, one kind of potato chip.
I am looking forward to learning about the Surface on this forum and nice to meet you all.

Jglnaz372

Thanks J5150P. When I read the opening post it just resonated with me so many of the problems we seem to have with technology today. Much like politics. Many are convinced that their tech toy is the greatest and everything else is junk. Nothing wrong with being a "fan boy" as they are called, but when it becomes useless dribble, nothing is gained from it. Like I wrote, if you like it, nothing else matters. Again I am happy to just have so many choices and everyone has a right to their opinion as long as it remains civil and respectful. For some that seems to be a major problem! :mad2:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well that is sort of the problem. Google is trying to build their own ecosystem and not give away the store by allowing users to access Google services on start up competition. Google and Microsoft have been bumping heads lately and Windows RT is a small user base so Google is essentially squeezing them out at the moment.

Google has even been slow to make Maps and YouTube apps available to Apple despite the very large user base to prove a point. Google makes plenty of money and if they loose a little now for a longer term play I am sure it isn't even a thought for them. Yes, if the opportunity becomes large enough they will probably make their services available to competing platforms but they seem far from that point on anything other than traditional Windows for PCs (no Modern UI apps). I do know a general Google search app is available but that is pretty minimal.

The ecosystem chess match is in full swing and the apps and services are the pieces on the board.

No Google Apps on Windows 8 and WP8: User base too small to invest in | BGR

The Google-Microsoft ecosystem war: a full history | The Verge

Still Seeking Resolution to Search Competition Issues - Microsoft on the Issues - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Microsoft Surprised Over Google Canning EAS Support

A happy little update to this post. Good for both Google and MS.

Google originally announced its plans to cutoff Exchange ActiveSync support for new users today, January 30th, but the company has revealed to The Verge that it plans to extend this to July 31st. In a statement issued to us, a spokesperson says the company will "start rolling out this change as planned across all platforms but will continue to support Google Sync for Windows Phone until July 31, 2013."

The change of heart follows Microsoft's requests for Google to extend its Exchange ActiveSync support for six months. It appears that Google has honored Microsoft's requests, allowing Windows Phone users to continue using Google Sync until July 31st. According to our own sources, Microsoft is preparing an update for Windows Phone to support CardDav and CalDAV protocols. We are reaching out to Google to confirm whether the extension will also apply to Windows 8, which is affected by the removal — we'll update you accordingly.

Source: Google extends Windows Phone support for Exchange ActiveSync until July 31st | The Verge

Update: MS's announcement about it.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3...nd-caldav-support-are-coming-to-windows-phone

Last edited: