What's new

New user, help deleting recovery partition please

chrisoldroyd

I am a proud owner of a new Surface Pro 128GB, got the original version as it was such a great deal. Anyway I have copied the recovery partition onto a usb and deleted it but it has created some other partitions that I can't delete and they are stopping me from extending the main partition.

I updated the SP straight to 8.1 before deleting the partition but not sure if that is the reason?

Anyone tell me how to delete and extend and if its safe to delete these new small recovery partitions?

Many thanks
Chris

SP.jpgSP.jpg

jeffskent

Sad, (a bit) to say, but, I've had to completely restore both my SP 128 and my friend's SP 128. Each time wiping out the entire SSD and starting over. In both cases it worked flawlessly, but, I am very thankful that I had the recovery data still on the SSD. Storage space seems so cheap these days it hardly seems worthwhile to take the extra chance, unless you really need to do so. I just bought an extra 32 GBMicro SD card for $20. This same card also works in my digital camera. With extra storage so cheap I choose not to delete or modify my safety net backup. Your choice.

billfraley

Sad, (a bit) to say, but, I've had to completely restore both my SP 128 and my friend's SP 128. Each time wiping out the entire SSD and starting over. In both cases it worked flawlessly, but, I am very thankful that I had the recovery data still on the SSD. Storage space seems so cheap these days it hardly seems worthwhile to take the extra chance, unless you really need to do so. I just bought an extra 32 GBMicro SD card for $20. This same card also works in my digital camera. With extra storage so cheap I choose not to delete or modify my safety net backup. Your choice.

I think if you have a 128gb device this may make sense. However, keep in mind that you can boot and restore directly from the recovery Flash drive you create. If you have low space this is not any inconvenience really. Of course that is assuming you are good at keeping track of the USB flash drive you used in the create recovery drive process.

It is not a one size fits all scenario. If you don't need the space used by the recovery partition then there is no compelling reason to delete it.