What's new

New user (i5 256 8)

montynwc

Just got my i5 sp3 yesterday. Picking it up from best buy today. They kept it overnight to install updates, antivirus, office, etc.

First question - is there anything they wouldn't install normally that I should have them install when I pick up? Thinking Intel drivers and the like.

Second question - I chose i5 over i7 and don't want to regret it. I just think i7 isn't necessary for my usage. This is a business machine (word, outlook, excel, calendars) that will be used as a tablet for movies, music, browsing at home at night. My video game playing is minimal and if I wanted a device for games I'd do a monster desktop. Mi don't do graphic design or anything creative like that at all. But I must have switching fast between applications and I hate lag.

Third question - what are some of the "must have" apps available right now that I should pick up immediately?

Fourth question - I bought a protective bag, wireless mouse, and type cover. Any hardware I'm going to want that I left behind?

Thanks all.

OP
M

montynwc

Btw, coming from iPad only paired with old, heavy dell laptop for work stuff, i.e. Citrix and Office escapades.

ctitanic

Welcome aboard. I never have used this BestBuy service so I don't know it they stick to what you have asked them to install or they will install a bunch of trials also known as crapware. In another hand I don't know what's the level of expertise of the guys in your local store. But I'm thinking here like an IT guy that will never trust anyone preparing a personal machine for me.

Anyway, check Fresh Paint in the Windows Store application. You will love it.

OP
M

montynwc

I'm not that savvy and they'll do it better and faster than me. I'll tell them to remove the crapware you mentioned above when I pick up, if there is any.

I have no problem telling them what to do and what not to do - just not sure how to do it myself!

ctitanic

I'm not that savvy and they'll do it better and faster than me. I'll tell them to remove the crapware you mentioned above when I pick up, if there is any.

I have no problem telling them what to do and what not to do - just not sure how to do it myself!
I understand, I'm not criticizing you, I'm just warning you about what you can expect.

raqball

I'm pretty sure Best Buy will put a bunch of crapware on it.

Do you have a family member, friend or coworker who is PC proficient? If so I'd have them give it a thorough once over and remove all the garbage that Best Buy will probably put on it..

In the future I'd avoid having BB do anything to it if you can.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea what they will do. so lets find out. when you get it post the list of stuff that's installed. especially anything the says *new beside it when you swipe up at the start screen to see the whole list of apps. then we will know definitively if BB installed any Crap you didn't ask for.

OP
M

montynwc

So I have this bad boy home -- up and running.

It doesn't look like they installed any crap. The only programs marked "New" are my Office 365 and Webroot SecureAnywhere virus protect.

Loving it so far, but just started playing around.

Fresh Paint already installed. Per the rec above, I'll check that out.

Any other tips or tricks, please let me know. Also, any other great apps you'd recommend.

Geneo

One thing I will not live without (and haven't for years) is CCleaner. Safely removes all the junk that builds up on your computer. Besides, it's free. It's the very first thing I installed on my sp3.

dniezby

You don't need anything on it that it doesn't already come with. This is one reason I (personally) won't buy anyplace other than Microsoft retail.

It's pretty self explanatory to set up. If they install Antivirus, it will be junk you don't need. WOS8 comes with its own built in. It is the only AV that I use.

Apps? Well, that's easy but there are so many good ones.

It all depends on what you're looking for. There is a thread on this forum that has a great list but I don't have the link available.