What's new

New video of Windows 8.1 features...

mitchellvii

Looks pretty cool. Some good thinking here.

Windows 8.1 makes video debut ahead of June 26th preview release | The Verge

[video=youtube;VQb5caeSo00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb5caeSo00&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Surprisingly, just allowing the user to have the desktop wallpaper also be on the Start Screen makes the transition far less jarring. Funny that something so trivial would make a difference. One thing I wish they would do is add "jump lists" to tiles.

One last point. After using my SP for a while now I had forgotten how HARD Windows 8 is to use with just a mouse. Was at BestBuy yesterday researching some Home Theater stuff and was forced to use Windows 8 with a non-touch desktop. Wow, almost impossible. One thing MS could do to make this better is to have the mouse cursor work just like a finger touch. So, on the Start screen, instead of having to use the scrollbar at the bottom to navigate horizontally, allow mouse users to click and drag creating a finger touch effect. This would be a big help IMHO.

Last edited:

tonyz3

I wish you could make the email tile large and read more emails. You can scroll on a non touch with mouse by just moving the mouse to the left or right. But there is also a grab function you can set that it grabs with a single touch of the button. Not sure if that was automatic with my update from seven but I can do this on my hp all in one. I relay hope the multi monitor support they keep talking about will allow snapping on two monitors. . Good read tho.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Surprisingly, just allowing the user to have the desktop wallpaper also be on the Start Screen makes the transition far less jarring. Funny that something so trivial would make a difference. One thing I wish they would do is add "jump lists" to tiles.
The shared wallpaper-thing is really smoothing the switch from metro to desktop. Jump list would be a cool feature, but i'm thinking of: How to integrate without overload for the bottom bar or a new swipe direction exclusively for jump lists. Something like a top bar (like on the people hub) would be a possibility, but then again the screen is crammed with information when selecting a tile. I've found the solution in Office 2013 rather nice - you have to open the app, but at first screen you get a jump-list/history.

tonyz3

Don't want to go of topic but that shirt makes that guy look sloppy. :smile:ps allowing the wall paper to be on start makes a huge difference.

pallentx

I like the nameable groups. This is sort of already there, but apparently restricted to OEMs only. A new Lenovo all-in-one I was on recently had a Lenovo Apps section on it. The automatic split screen when opening a file from mail is really cool too.

TeknoBlast

I like the nameable groups. This is sort of already there, but apparently restricted to OEMs only. A new Lenovo all-in-one I was on recently had a Lenovo Apps section on it. The automatic split screen when opening a file from mail is really cool too.

You can name groups of tiles. That's a current feature. At the start screen, just pinch in, select the group of tiles, and there's an option at the bottom left that allows you to name groups. I'm looking forward to the 50/50 snap and the background in motion when you scroll through your tiles.

pallentx

Ah cool - never used that... Now, I wish they would let you collapse the named groups and only open them when you need them open.

kristalsoldier

Wait...why can't I see the clip either in Mitchell's post or on the Verge site...and I am using the browser on my RT?