What's new

Solved Newbie Purchase Question i5 128 vs i5 256

jztimmons

Hello all. Going to purchase SP4 this week. I am trying to decide on the 4/128 ($899 currently) vs. the 8/256 ($1199 currently). I am trying to decide if the difference is worth the $300 price increase. My usage is generally this:
  1. MS Office with Project and Visio
  2. SQL Server Mgmt Studio
  3. light Visual Studio 2012 mostly doing SSIS
  4. Remote desktop
  5. Edge and Chrome browsing
My current work machine is a HP Elitebook i5/4/128 (Jan 2013). It has been fine for the tasks above. The SP4 would be personal and used for same plus Netflix, Kindle, & iTunes (don't hate ;) ); basically I am replacing my iPad and using it for personal development (studying for MCP in MSSQL). I have a Server 2012 Standard and SQL Server 2012 Dev Ed running on another box, but I wouldn't might running SQL Server locally too sometimes.

So. What say you? Worth it? Need it?

Thanks very much!

Spartan X

I think ram has the bigger impact on performance. When your storage gets low, you will notice an impact to performance but if your current device hasn't left you hanging for over three years, I think you're good. imho

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My work is similar and I moved to a 16GB from an 8GB, couldn't imagine VS 2012 or Management Studio of 4GB...or Chrome for that matter.... as Chrome sucks all available CPU and RAM...

Depending on the complexity of your Visio Diagrams and size of your mpp files even that can tax 4GB...

OP
jztimmons

jztimmons

Thanks guys. I was concerned about the memory as well. Just a few quick follow-ups:
Does Microsoft offer any kind of "Opps I should have bought the bigger one" type of exchange policy?
The memory is soldered on the board and cannot be upgraded, is that correct?

Spartan X

Thanks guys. I was concerned about the memory as well. Just a few quick follow-ups:
Does Microsoft offer any kind of "Opps I should have bought the bigger one" type of exchange policy?
You have 30 days to return no questions asked at the store. Salable quality of course.

bluegrass

Just to clarify your question about adding memory. Yes, the Surface is a sealed unit. You can't open it up to add or change anything internally. You can only add hardware via the external interfaces such as the USB & other external connectors.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but I do like to remain somewhat anonymous online... ;) And, I kinda figured you already knew that! LOL
I can remove this part of the thread...welcome to my world. Of course you could have just called me as you are one of the few with my number :)