What's new

Newly Unboxed SP3 Cannot Find Updates

Laurita

Insanely frustrating. Just unboxed this beautiful machine a few hours ago. Everything was work okay... there's a little lag here and there, some weird crashing behavior, and I realize that I should get my updates.

The thing acts like it's searching and searching, but it does that forever and nothing happens. Just keeps searching. I attempted restarting, powering off -- no change. I attempted a factory reset and a device refresh -- nothing, and in fact, both tell me that "some files are missing," so it won't actually reset or refresh. Microsoft Support had me do Volume Up + Power followed by 2 restarts -- nothing happened. My SP3 has been out of the box for no more than 3.5 hours; seriously, what is going on here?

As I'm spending more time with the machine without its updates (I really hope the updates fix this), it'll freeze and things'll crash.

I'm open to your ideas, folks. Anyone else running into these update issues?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you on battery or plugged in? It is also possible your Router may be having issues communicating with the Surface Pro 3. Do you have a option to try the device on another WiFi Network or is there per chance a Firmware Update for your router/AP?

OP
Laurita

Laurita

Are you on battery or plugged in? It is also possible your Router may be having issues communicating with the Surface Pro 3. Do you have a option to try the device on another WiFi Network or is there per chance a Firmware Update for your router/AP?
Thanks for your suggestions! I've tried both on battery and being plugged in. I work and (and currently live) on a college campus, so I basically only have access to campus wifi ATM, and I have no control over those settings/updates/what have you. I did try tethering SP3 to my Lumia 1020 -- connects fine but resolves nothing.

leeshor

I would first make certain you could connect to a public WiFi off campus. If that works check with the campus IT people. It's probably something simple if off campus works.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your suggestions! I've tried both on battery and being plugged in. I work and (and currently live) on a college campus, so I basically only have access to campus wifi ATM, and I have no control over those settings/updates/what have you. I did try tethering SP3 to my Lumia 1020 -- connects fine but resolves nothing.

Yeah, you are probably one of the first SP3's that you college has run into..... do you have a Starbucks or other Coffee House with free WiFi heck even Gurney Mills has free WiFi IIRC :)

OP
Laurita

Laurita

Yeah, you are probably one of the first SP3's that you college has run into..... do you have a Starbucks or other Coffee House with free WiFi heck even Gurney Mills has free WiFi IIRC :)
Good points. I'll bring it with me to Starbucks in the morning and see what happens. I'm on-call and more or less locked down to the burbs for the rest of the week, so I can't use my own wifi to test all this out for a few days.

OP
Laurita

Laurita

Unfortunately, no improvement. I've tried 3 other networks; no dice. I'll be paying the Microsoft Store a visit this weekend.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, no improvement. I've tried 3 other networks; no dice. I'll be paying the Microsoft Store a visit this weekend.
What error are you getting? Also under the Power Button on the Start Screen does say Update and Restart or Update and Shutdown?