What's new

News Flash! You can try Windows 8.1 WITHOUT full wipe...

kristalsoldier

Ummm...how is this significant? I thought MS said that anyone currently using Win8 (any version) could upgrade to the Win 8.1 Preview the condition being that you would have to, at the minimum, reinstall all your apps when you install the final version of Win 8.1. The article you linked to says pretty much the same thing, unless I am missing anything.

Finally, the most important warning of all: You can upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1 Blue MP and not lose anything. But when time comes for the final version of Windows 8.1, you will NOT be able to directly upgrade from the Win 8.1 MP to the final, shipping version of Win 8.1. Microsoft has made it amply clear that you'll have to re-install all of your desktop apps when making the move from Win 8.1 MP to Win 8.1 final.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ummm...how is this significant? I thought MS said that anyone currently using Win8 (any version) could upgrade to the Win 8.1 Preview the condition being that you would have to, at the minimum, reinstall all your apps when you install the final version of Win 8.1. The article you linked to says pretty much the same thing, unless I am missing anything.

Significant enough for a major tech mag to write and article about it a day prior to release apparently. Seems there was some doubt despite what MS had implied previously. I know I had heard both.

Last edited:

MaverickNH

I'm rather new to Win8, having bought a Surface Pro 2 weeks ago. Does the MS Store work like Apple Store, where once you've bought an App, you can delete it and reinstall it without paying again? Is there a list of those bought/installed Apps maintained anywhere online, as in Apple store, or do I have to record myself?

Desktop software will require reinstallation from scratch - I'll need to collect my download emails with licenses. Would that be the best way. Once upon a time, I had a program - Symantec/Norton perhaps - where you could "extract" an installation from one PC and transport it to another, but those days are long gone...

kristalsoldier

I'm rather new to Win8, having bought a Surface Pro 2 weeks ago. Does the MS Store work like Apple Store, where once you've bought an App, you can delete it and reinstall it without paying again? Is there a list of those bought/installed Apps maintained anywhere online, as in Apple store, or do I have to record myself?

Desktop software will require reinstallation from scratch - I'll need to collect my download emails with licenses. Would that be the best way. Once upon a time, I had a program - Symantec/Norton perhaps - where you could "extract" an installation from one PC and transport it to another, but those days are long gone...

Don't know the answer to your second question, but in so far as the apps are concerned, yes, they can be redownloaded at will. No need to buy them again.

tonyz3

Yes and yes. For win 8 app while in the app store Swipe down and you will see a button for my apps which is a list of all apps owned by you. believe some one posted a program of how you can back everything up if you wanted to.and yes the biggest pain will be the desktop apps and licenses.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I get the impression from the article that you won't lose your desktop apps with the preview, just the final.

Finally, the most important warning of all: You can upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1 Blue MP and not lose anything. But when time comes for the final version of Windows 8.1, you will NOT be able to directly upgrade from the Win 8.1 MP to the final, shipping version of Win 8.1. Microsoft has made it amply clear that you'll have to re-install all of your desktop apps when making the move from Win 8.1 MP to Win 8.1 final.

Russ

Ummm...how is this significant?

KristalSoldier --

Short answer: It isn't.

I have been doing Beta and "Preview" software practically since they were invented, and do not recall an instance where there was a direct path from beta upgrade to the final version. The only thing that is newsworthy here is that anybody found it newsworthy.

Must'a been a real slow news day.

Take care,
Russ

Ruffles

I get the impression from the article that you won't lose your desktop apps with the preview, just the final.

Not necessarily. If you wait till the final, you can upgrade with no problem. What MS is saying is that 8.0 to 8.1 upgrades are supported. 8.1 in this case means any version - the final RTM or the preview version. In any case, all apps remain installed. What is not supported is 8.1 to 8.1 upgrades. This refers to interim builds like the preview or leaked builds upgraded to the final RTM. In this case, you have to do a clean (full wipe) install.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well BUILD has officially started, 9 AM PST. Wonder what time the Preview will post for download? I'm sure the servers will be a joke of lag.