What's new

News of RT's death has been greatly exaggerated....

kristalsoldier

This is interesting on two counts - first, MS as an OEM and second, the status of RT. In particular, the latter is most interesting to me since, in a sense, I took my chances (no doubt like many others) on that platform. Am glad to see it spreading. What would be even better is if developers also appreciate this and start releasing apps for it - some of the traditional x86 program developers may also want to consider developing RT apps and the usage of the platform would, most likely, jump exponentially. I guess, MS also needs to do its part - for one thing, they need to equip the Surface (RT version) with a pen and inking capabilities (and I don't mean in terms of the rumoured Surface Mini).

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With the updates to WinRT that happened with Update One, it will be much easier for developers to port existing Win32, Android and iOS Apps to WinRT.

Omni

I first purchased a Surface RT with the intention to upgrade to the Pro when it was released... but RT does 75% of what I want to get done so I really don't need a Pro like I thought I did. I do however still want one just can't justify it now.

TheCudder

I first purchased a Surface RT with the intention to upgrade to the Pro when it was released... but RT does 75% of what I want to get done so I really don't need a Pro like I thought I did. I do however still want one just can't justify it now.

This. The only thing that I feel I'm missing from RT is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, If Adobe releases a Lightroom app I'd be golden with RT.

oion

Alrighty. It's been a long while since I logged in (I see the forum software has changed, huh). After a cross-country move, I've actually been using my Surface 2 as a primary machine most of the time, though it's not terribly ergonomic so I set up my PC anyway despite awkward space issues. While putting my Surface 2 through its paces, I got curious if MS was planning further for the line.

So, Jeff. What do you think will happen/or do you know if something is happening with the RT platform on ARM? Will there be a Surface 3? (I'm completely satisfied with my S2, though, even using Splashtop to remote into my PC and dabble in an MMO while out of the house.) Or will Windows 10 factor into new hardware for the future, and maybe MS is waiting for that? Hmmm.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Alrighty. It's been a long while since I logged in (I see the forum software has changed, huh). After a cross-country move, I've actually been using my Surface 2 as a primary machine most of the time, though it's not terribly ergonomic so I set up my PC anyway despite awkward space issues. While putting my Surface 2 through its paces, I got curious if MS was planning further for the line.

So, Jeff. What do you think will happen/or do you know if something is happening with the RT platform on ARM? Will there be a Surface 3? (I'm completely satisfied with my S2, though, even using Splashtop to remote into my PC and dabble in an MMO while out of the house.) Or will Windows 10 factor into new hardware for the future, and maybe MS is waiting for that? Hmmm.
I think we will see a Surface 3 or another Surface ARM device....but I don't have anything official....

goodintentions

Sorry to burst your bubble, guys, but rt will never catch on in the corporate world. There are simply too many in-house x86 software still floating around. This is one reason I gave my nephew my rt surface and bought a $120 atom tablet.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
RT/Surface 2 has made great inroads in the Enterprise already....specifically in manufacturing, sales, POS, and others....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With the latest iteration of 64 bit ARM chips we should be approaching feasibility of X86 translation virtualization with Atom level performance. Not robust but passable using ahead of time translation where the executable is translated and stored ahead of time then run from the xstore.

goodintentions

RT/Surface 2 has made great inroads in the Enterprise already....specifically in manufacturing, sales, POS, and others....
I keep hearing this, but I don't see it. Most businesses are not tech oriented. They just want to stick with what they know, and what they know are all x86 apps.