What's new

Nice Video on Windows Blue Features...

souldier

Awesome. My first time to see windows blue in action. I like a lot of the improvements. Anyone know if this will be a free or paid upgrade?

I'm especially happy that you can now do a 50/50 split screen. One feature I'm still waiting for is the ability to have more than 7 apps open at a time, and the ability to scroll up and down on that left bar that shows which apps are open. I'd also love to a see a DECENT pdf annotating app that fully supports digital inking.

pallentx

Cool stuff. It will be interesting see how this new GUI evolves as they get more feedback. Pretty happy about the 50/50 screen and smaller tiles on the start screen.

ximoosea

Cool stuff. It will be interesting see how this new GUI evolves as they get more feedback. Pretty happy about the 50/50 screen and smaller tiles on the start screen.

Agreed, but look how low our expectations have gotten. These are two such minor things and still seem to be a huge step backwards. Sorry not trying to be negative.

ximoosea

I don't see a step backwards in giving people more options.

I was referring to a still being a step backwards from Windows 7. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of these improvements also, but it is a bit sad when we get excited about smaller tiles on the smart screen (as compared to the flexibility we previously had) and also excited about being able to have 2 windows open at a time.

FindMyWayHome

The multiple side by side app feature and the on screen hold and choose keyboard function seems to be the most interesting part of the update. Microsoft Blue is the name yes, why not use v8.1 to save on the confusion?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

From the articles I am reading it does seem MS is being dragged kicking and screaming to make Windows 8 a better experience. There are many cool and enjoyable things about Windows 8. The interface between Modern Ui and Desktop isn't one of them. If they can fix that with the understanding that 95% of the market doesn't have and isn't going to buy touch screens then they could have a great product.

FindMyWayHome

Everyone already has touchscreen phones, why not have a touchscreen computer? The START screen is just another way to place users favorite information on one screen. And for that 95% statistic, maybe the instructions on how to use Windows 8 should be more clear. Possibly more informative videos on the basics while being entertaining.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Everyone already has touchscreen phones, why not have a touchscreen computer? The START screen is just another way to place users favorite information on one screen. And for that 95% statistic, maybe the instructions on how to use Windows 8 should be more clear. Possibly more informative videos on the basics while being entertaining.

Standalone touchscreen monitors are expensive.

However, the new Leap Motion Controller for $80 may solve that problem for a lot of people. As a matter of fact, Leap Motion may single-handedly save Windows 8.

[video=youtube;KBNm0NKBRvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNm0NKBRvw[/video]

Last edited: