What's new

No 1tb Model

Cimmerian

Anybody know why 1tb is plastered all over every page for this device but its not up for pre-order? When I called an actual Microsoft store and asked if they would have the Surface Book with 1tb of storage on launch day they said that wasn't a variant of the device. Anybody?

cesardl

Agree. The 1TB SSD model (the one I want) is officially announced in Microsoft's pages and event but it is still not available for Pre-Order at the Store.
I remember that when the SPro3 was released, the 500GB SSD model took one more month to be available than the rest of the models. I hope this won´t be the case..

cesardl

Agree. The 1TB SSD model (the one I want) is officially announced in Microsoft's pages and event but it is still not available for Pre-Order at the Store.
I remember that when the SPro3 was released, the 500GB SSD model took one more month to be available than the rest of the models. I hope this won´t be the case..

And btw, here it is in the official page in Tech specs, it mentions the 1TB SSD model: Surface Book - The ultimate laptop
But it is still not available for per-order.
I just talked with someone from the MSFT STORE, thru the Support Chat, and this is what they said:
"We have not info for that Model, however, it should be available sometime before or close to the day or release."

mtalinm

you can find it (and its $3199 price tag) if you use the help-me-choose thingy at Microsoft.com.

it's possible that they will only offer it through resellers, though my cynical hunch is that they just left it off the website for now to avoid journalists writing THERE'S A THREE-THOUSAND DOLLAR SURFACE BOOK!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can find it (and its $3199 price tag) if you use the help-me-choose thingy at Microsoft.com.

it's possible that they will only offer it through resellers, though my cynical hunch is that they just left it off the website for now to avoid journalists writing THERE'S A THREE-THOUSAND DOLLAR SURFACE BOOK!
I can see how that would foil most journalists :)

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

Oh wow I didn't even think about that but that would make a ton of sense.

Migi

MS has to offer this when Apple is offering 1TB SSD on Macbook Pros. I guess availability of 1TB SSDs are a bit constrained right now combined with MS has to guess as to demand.

vsherry

Even if you choose preorder after the "Help Me Choose," it will take you to the page that doesn't include the 1TB option. You cannot place it in your cart. The same is true for the 1Tb version of SP4.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For some strange reason the UK is not deemed worthy of the 1tb surface pro and will not be getting it.

No stores, limiting model availability, is the UK really that crap a market for MS? Exactly 30% of the students on my university program are now using surfaces. With questions asked over whether I'll be selling g either of mine come sp4 release

OP
Cimmerian

Cimmerian

While getting an external drive is significantly cheaper its also significantly slower. I have over 500gb of music plugin libraires that need to be on fast storage or my audio production program runs so slow that it just ends up crashing. For the whole two people on the planet (including myself) that actually need the 1tb ssd please let us know if anyone finds anything out! It's annoying how vague Microsoft is being about several things on this device, surprised more information hasn't been released yet on the 1tb storage option or this top secret gpu of theirs... They need to stop being so coy.