What's new

No built in stylus holder?

Ruffles

I didn't see any mention of a build in stylus holder on the new Surface Pro 2. It's not a deal breaker for me but I expected them to add one. The magnetic power holder is a joke.

souldier

Yup none as far as I can see. The look of the surface pro 2 is practically identical to the first gen device. The only thing that changed really is what is on the inside. The surface pro 2 appears to be more of an incremental update like going from an Iphone 5 to a 5S. Probably the NEXT surface pro will be a more monumental leap with a silo to put the digitizer

Spaniard

That'll be Surface Pro 3. Meanwhile:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...or-c22-haswell-i7-11-6-surface-pro-clone.html

RdZAgqE.gif

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Yeah no physical upgrade really so as to be expected I suppose. Mine just sits in my Nikon sleeve totally unused anyway!

drolem

No stylus holder.

Outside, aside from the kickstand and the writing on the back, it is identical to the original Surface Pro.
Inside, the only major change is a different CPU and chipset.

mitchellvii

If they had been smart and gone with an 11.6" screen they would have had room to put the pen inside. I almost think that MS did not go with the bigger screen or a port for the pen simply because they had a bunch of Surface Pro cases they needed to use up. This tells me even MS isn't sure this device will sell and didn't want to commit to a full redesign in case it doesn't.

At this price point with an 11.6" screen I believe MS would have sold the hell out of this to business users. Sadly, 10.6" inches is simply too small for a true laptop replacement. Probably a reason all the other hot new hybrids are 11.6" or higher. A bigger screen would also have made room for a larger internal battery and another usb port with a thinner profile.

To me this oversight is a major fail.

I equate the Surface Pro 2 to MS scoring the tying touchdown with a second to play then missing the extra point to lose. It coulda been great, so so close but MS simply does not get it.

Last edited:

Krooked

If they had been smart and gone with an 11.6" screen they would have had room to put the pen inside. I almost think that MS did not go with the bigger screen or a port for the pen simply because they had a bunch of Surface Pro cases they needed to use up. This tells me even MS isn't sure this device will sell and didn't want to commit to a full redesign in case it doesn't.

At this price point with an 11.6" screen I believe MS would have sold the hell out of this to business users. Sadly, 10.6" inches is simply too small for a true laptop replacement. Probably a reason all the other hot new hybrids are 11.6" or higher. A bigger screen would also have made room for a larger internal battery and another usb port with a thinner profile.

To me this oversight is a major fail.

I equate the Surface Pro 2 to MS scoring the tying touchdown with a second to play then missing the extra point to lose. It coulda been great, so so close but MS simply does not get it.

Coulda been great???

This coming from the guy who swore MS would never make an SP2?

This form-factor is here to stay for a while.

And my SP1 has completely replaced my laptops.

mitchellvii

Coulda been great???

This coming from the guy who swore MS would never make an SP2?

This form-factor is here to stay for a while.

And my SP1 has completely replaced my laptops.

I confess I gave MS credit for more intelligence than they apparently possess in assuming they would not make a Surface Pro 2 so much like the Surface Pro 1. Yep they made it and yep it will fail.

It could have been great. They could have made it an amazing device for business users but instead they just put lipstick on the pig. The screen is too small, there aren't enough ports and there is nowhere for the pen. Fail, fail and fail. Don't fall into the trap of thinking, "Well I like it so it must be awesome!". True it meets your needs but it does not meet the needs of most business users because the form factor is all wrong. Is SP2 an improvement over SP1? Of course, but the competition has improved as well and for business users, offers better functionality.

This form factor is here to stay not because anyone is buying it, but because MS is proud and obstinate and doesn't know when to walk away. As I recall, MS kept making the Zune as well.

MS should have dumped the Pro line and focused on Surface 2 making it Bay Trail and full Windows. THAT would have sold.

Last edited:

drolem

I confess I gave MS credit for more intelligence than they apparently possess in assuming they would not make a Surface Pro 2 so much like the Surface Pro 1. Yep they made it and yep it will fail.
Repeating the same old drivel over and over again doesn't make it any more true. I have a feeling you'll be eating crow again when the Surface Pro 2 sales numbers are released. ;)

There are some very rational reasons why the SP2 is nearly identical to SP1:
1) only the motherboard need to be redesigned
2) economies of scale on identical parts
3) quick manufacturing switch over
4) accessories usable with both, etc.

Last edited:

apoc_reg

Surface pro 1 was a great machine with only a few faults, battery and gaming performance where the only 2 that really affected me.... seems both have been corrected so its pretty awesome i say.