What's new

No Google Maps App

NGC

I realize I can use Google Maps through the Google Browser on the Surface. When will Google introduce a map app for Surface or will the Surface remain as inferior to the Ipad with no Google Maps?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
First of all you have bing-maps preinstalled, which is not the worst substitute. Also there is an app called "gmaps pro" - it's not from google but delivers what you want. Since there was no official maps-app on WP 7.5, i doubt that google app is arriving soon on Win RT.

OP
N

NGC

I thank everyone for the suggestions but I own an Ipad with that junk they call Apple Maps.
I love the new Surface RT but would wait for the Pro BUT if Google Maps is not present I'm not sure what I will do.
I need Google Maps with Street View. I might have no choice but to purchase Nexus 10 with Google Maps but inferior to the Surface.
Microsoft should liscence Google Maps. Bing is only marginally superior to Apple Maps.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

macintosh

I think the more interesting point is with the modern ui you want an app for everything, will you be asking for a google maps app on your apple macbook / windows 7 computer too?

Any app would basically be the same as the web version, but touch optimised i guess.

you can pin any web site - I've done this for Google+ and Twitter. I never use a twitter app on my macbook for example.

The Surface RT is an odd mix - i treat mine like a netbook - otheres like an iPad.

ArnoldC

I realize I can use Google Maps through the Google Browser on the Surface. When will Google introduce a map app for Surface or will the Surface remain as inferior to the Ipad with no Google Maps?

Download G Maps from the store and problem solved.

Microsoft will not use Google maps as they have Bing Maps which is transitioning to Nokia Maps which has transitioned to Here.com

Omni

I might be wrong but can you use street view on Google Earth app? If you can the surface pro would run it no problem.