What's new

No iTunes Metro App For Windows 8

tonyz3

who cares about that quickly becoming irrelevant company. i store all my 10k in tunes in google music. Itunes is over rated.

Chubnut

iTunes is rubbish as a music database tool. I don't use it to sync to the iPod either. Helium Music Manager does everything iTunes does and vastly more and much better too. However, wouldn't want to store my music on the RT or a Pro as it's over 150gb
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

LinkRS

Exactly! Using iTunes and an iTunes Match account, I have my entire iTunes Library on my Surface. This way, it uses zero storage on my Surface, and just streams from the cloud. The only downside is the need for the desktop app, which sucks trying to use with touch. If Apple made a Modern version, we could have the best of both worlds :)

Rich S.

Russ

Helium Music Manager does everything iTunes does and vastly more and much better too. However, wouldn't want to store my music on the RT or a Pro as it's over 150gb

Chubnut --

Thanks for the referral. I'm downloading it now. I will be happy to remove iTunes from my computer. I have never liked the way it insinuates itself into my system.

"150GB" -- Wow! I thought I had a lot of music, but I'm not even in your neighborhood. In fact, I can't even see your neighborhood from mine.

Take care,

Russ

Nuspieds

iTunes is rubbish as a music database tool. I don't use it to sync to the iPod either. Helium Music Manager does everything iTunes does and vastly more and much better too. However, wouldn't want to store my music on the RT or a Pro as it's over 150gb
Thanks for the reference; I had never heard of Helium Music Manager and I had always thought that since I had an iPod that I'd be handcuffed to iTunes.

It is definitely an overrated product and I, for one, do not make my purchasing decisions based on the platform that iTunes supports!

Amdukias

I keep 4 separate 1 tb external drives that I use just for backing up music, movies digital comics etc. None are full, I just like to have a redundant backup of everything, must be the military training lol. So no need for any crApple software for me.

gangolfus

MediaMonkey will also sync with iPood devices. I don't have any apple devices but I like it as a music player. I may give Helium a shot too.

DOS

Does that work on the iPad, the Mini iPad, and the soon to be released Maxi iPad?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

icwhatudidthere

I'm honestly not surprised at Apple, I never thought they would ever do it. Metro is Microsoft's mobile environment and Apple/iTunes doesn't support any mobile environment except their own. Thus no Metro iTunes ever.

Right now on my Surface Pro, what I'm doing is I use iTunes on the desktop to manage my library and have it all downloaded to my SD card which is setup as a Virtual Hard drive so Windows can index it. It works and I can use the XBox Music app for playback which is not so bad since the last update.

I also get a lot of downloads to new music from labels, marketing companies, etc, so I add it into iTunes, which copies it to the SD card and pushes it to iTunes Match at the same time. I also occasionally run Amazon's music importer to push the new tracks there too, which makes them available on my Android phone.

Apart from a few third party Google Music Metro apps there really is no true* cloud music app for Metro is there? iTunes Match is about the only reason I use iTunes anymore. At about 120GB of music, I always hated backing it up and maintaining it. Also the iTunes music store still has lots of exclusive content (like live performances) that's only just starting to be matched by Amazon.

*True cloud music support being one that supports uploading your own collection in addition to match.

Chubnut

There are a few flavours to Helium. I'm using the Network version which can use a SQL server database and it's a relational format. It can use Compact or MySQL too.

I like the way I can get right into the tags of the tracks and the tools built in means it will get the track/album/artist information from a myriad of sources. You'll probably need to spend some time setting it up so that it looks the way you want it to though and it's probably not for everyone. I'm pretty anal about data and data quality though (not just cause of my job, probably why I made it my job lol) and this let's me what I want to do.

This 150gb is mainly the cd's, some mini discs and about 100 LPs. I have nearly 1500 records lol