What's new

No Kensington Lock Slot

kundas1

There has NEVER been a tablet with ANY theft lock mechanism that has been produced.... I don't know why you find that so hard to believe and why would MS be any different than these other manufacturers? The ONLY viable option would be to use third party devices like jnjroach posted in his post. although MS is touting the tablet can replace your laptop it's still in effect a TABLET... doesn't mean that you should treat it as a LAPTOP... if you can't live with that then I suggest you buy a laptop ;)

OP
N

netuser

There has NEVER been a tablet with ANY theft lock mechanism that has been produced.... I don't know why you find that so hard to believe and why would MS be any different than these other manufacturers? The ONLY viable option would be to use third party devices like jnjroach posted in his post. although MS is touting the tablet can replace your laptop it's still in effect a TABLET... doesn't mean that you should treat it as a LAPTOP... if you can't live with that then I suggest you buy a laptop ;)

Nonsense. So what if it is a tablet or not? If it's a tablet, that means theft is a non-issue compared to a laptop???
If anything a tablet would be more likely to "walk away" than a laptop when left unattended for short periods of time.
It would only make a difference if it was small enough to keep in your pocket or purse with you all the time, but a Surface is not.
If you don't want to lock your personal Surface you picked up a Best Buy, YOU don't have to. Many corporate environments have requirements demand company devices be locked. So, that would mean Surface docking station users in an office would have to undock the Surface and lock it away every time they go to the restroom unless the plan to take it in there with them.

Microsoft touts it as a laptop, runs a PC OS on it, makes a first party keyboard and makes a laptop-like dock for it unlike competing tablets. They are also targeting business enterprise sales in addition to home users.
Microsoft they say "Apple doesn't make a docking station for iPads so we won't." or "Apple doesn't put a desktop OS in their iPads so we won't" or "Apple doesn't make a keyboard, USB port etc, for iPads, so we won't. They are treating the Surface more like a laptop especially since they discontinued the RT models.
Even though Apple doesn't put a lock slot built-into iPads (can't have a lock slot because it is way to thin for one unlike a Surface device), there are many practical third party solutions for iPads that work without gluing things on to the case and most can be left on all the time without making the device bulky. http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4481/tablet-security#.VTmk3xz3-iw
http://www.displays2go.com/P-21184/Locking-iPad-Case-with-Security-Lock-is-Low-Profile
http://securtech.com/ipad_locks_ipad_air_locks_tablet_locks.htm

The Surface 3 is still new, so we need to give some time, but the lack of solutions for the somewhat well-selling Surface Pro 3 does not bode well.
Maybe if the Surface 3 is a huge seller and outsells the Surface Pro 3. more vendors will invest R&D into developing a simple to use locking product.
However, Microsoft could have solved this for people who purchased docks by making the Surface lock to the dock. Would have been such a simple and clean solution and would drive more dock sales.
It is asinine that they lock the docking station down, but don't include an option to lock the tablet into the dock.

Last edited:
OP
N

netuser

I doubt very much that locking down any tablet is high on manufacturers list of product development.

That may be true, but they are tone deaf not to have a solution for that and also want to sell to commercial enterprise customers at the same time.
Same tone deafness as releasing Windows 8.0 thinking it was fine the way it was at release, releasing the Surface Pro with no drivers available to download for months after release so that business customers could reimage Surface Pros with their corporate Windows 8 image, no vPro, no TPM, no PXE boot etc. at launch. Microsoft addressed those issues later with updates and new models.

Apple gets away with it because they sell so many millions that third parties will quickly jump in to fill any missing gaps.
Again, this is not "any tablet," It is a tablet designed to function as a laptop.

If you are going to make a dock with a security lock to hinder theft of the dock, common sense says also make it possible to lock the tablet into the dock so the tablet can benefit from the locked down dock.

hannytyo

well... forget about tablet or laptop... surface 3 runs PC OS, means potential usage of this device will not be only limited to personal but also corporate. even for the SP3, i'm having problems with 'locking' it when I work in client site. and most of the time I have to bring my laptop instead.

"locking" our devices, even if it is a smartphone, tablet or laptop, will not hindrance their usage, because when we "lock" them, we don't use them.

anyway thanks guys for providing links to various locking tools for my SP3, the kickstarter one looks nice but don't think they already sell it.

They're selling this as a device you CAN TAKE TO WORK. They're selling this as a device you CAN WORK with. It's not an unreasonable request, or even requirement, that people might say "in order to do that, I need to be able to secure the device." It's not my requirement, it's not a requirement that I have, but I certainly do understand that others do.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
MLDKYCG-inuse_lg.jpg

MLDKYCG-nak_lg.jpg

This is nice but more than is needed. An arm to latch it at the top should do the trick, without the full encasing, the rest of that is mostly window dressing. At $200 its a bit pricey but the bare essential could go for $35-$50.

OP
N

netuser