What's new

No Kensington Lock Slot

OP
N

netuser

I would assume that the Lowjack service is included on the S3 as it is on the SP3, that combined with Enterprise Controlled Bitlocker will make the S3 worthless at resale as you can track the device and they would be unable to restore the device.

Even if that were available for the Surface 3, it may not be any deterrent since the would-be theif may be unaware of that until after they have already stolen the device. You will have still lost the Surface even if the theif can't use or resell it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Even if that were available for the Surface 3, it may not be any deterrent since the would-be theif may be unaware of that until after they have already stolen the device. You will have still lost the Surface even if the theif can't use or resell it.
I worry less about the device and more about the data on the device, the device is $500-700/USD and can be covered, the data and the security principles on the device are next to priceless. If my CxO's were worried about device theft and wanted a device like the SP3 or the S3 I would post placards that state all devices are fitted with Geo-Trackers and are Using Hardware based encryption.

Of course one of the imputable laws of security is, "if the bad-guys have unfettered access to your device, it is no longer your device...."

I wish you the best of luck choosing the best mobile hybrid solution for your organization.

OP
N

netuser

Protecting data from theft is most important, but we don't want a $700 device to be easy to just casually picked up and taken away without anyone noticing.
Some people's smart phones cost more than $700, but it's easier to keep you smart phone with you at all times since it fits in any pocket or purse.

Just watch the first 30 seconds of this video:

bluegrass

Like other tablets I've seen, the Surface 3 seems to also be missing a Kensington lock slot.
Manufacturers know people want this on laptops, so almost every laptop has them including a $199 HP Stream 11.. Why would it be different on a tablet from $499 to $1900+?
If the tablet is thick enough to fit a full sized USB port, it's thick enough to fit a smaller security lock slot.
In what I find really a bizarre design, the docking station has a lock slot to secure the dock from theft, but there is no mechanism to secure the tablet to the dock.
I would think a thief would be more likely to try to quietly snatch an unattended tablet out of the dock than to steal the dock itself.
Pretty inconvenient to have to take the tablet everywhere you go. To the restroom?

???

The only solution I have seen consists of gluing a security cable on to the tablet.
Tacky.

I think the Kensington lock is an absolutely waste. They've been around for decades on computers and I haven't seen one person use one nor have I. I bet if you took a poll on this forum of who has ever locked their device using the Kensington lock it would show zero have used one. The lack of a way to lock the Surface will not be something that is going to turn people off from buying a Surface.

Last edited:
OP
N

netuser

I think the Kensington lock is an absolutely waste. They've been around for decades on computers and I haven't seen one person use one nor have I. I bet if you took a poll on this forum of who has ever locked their device using the Kensington lock it would show zero have used one. The lack of a way to lock the Surface will not be something that is going to turn people off from buying a Surface.
Actually it has and will.
It many not deter consumers from buying the Surface for personal use, but it will be a roadblock to some corporate sales.
Our company looked at the original Surface Pro when it first came out and the lack of a convenient way to lock it was one of the reasons it wasn't adopted and why we decided to go with more laptops again even though there were many people who "liked" the Surface Pro. Lack of lock, plus lack of drivers to do a custom corporate image, no business class support, no TPM and on and on. Most have those issues have been resolved except still no Kensington lock and still no locking into a docking station except with the third party $200 metal housing.

There are many organizations that require that employees never walk away from a portable computing device not tethered or locked away.
So, the choice was to lock it in a cabinet every time you get up from your desk or carry it with you everywhere you go and both choices were more inconvenient than just using a Kensington lock with a regular laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Actually it has and will.
It many not deter consumers from buying the Surface for personal use, but it will be a roadblock to some corporate sales.
Our company looked at the original Surface Pro when it first came out and the lack of a convenient way to lock it was one of the reasons it wasn't adopted and why we decided to go with more laptops again even though there were many people who "liked" the Surface Pro. Lack of lock, plus lack of drivers to do a custom corporate image, no business class support, no TPM and on and on. Most have those issues have been resolved except still no Kensington lock and still no locking into a docking station except with the third party $200 metal housing.

There are many organizations that require that employees never walk away from a portable computing device not tethered or locked away.
So, the choice was to lock it in a cabinet every time you get up from your desk or carry it with you everywhere you go and both choices were more inconvenient than just using a Kensington lock with a regular laptop.
One slight correction.... every Surface Device has had TPM, Surface Pro and SP2 had TPM 1.2, and RT and S2 had TPM 2.0, SP3 and S3 both have TPM 2.0....

OP
N

netuser

Microsoft is working on a docking station that clips using the magnet designed for the keyboard and it can also lock the Surface down.
It is only a concept that is not guaranteed to ever go into production.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...eful-surface-pro-3-dock-you-can-t-buy-1292718

They finally realized that people in office buildings will want to lock these things down.

SurfacePro3-in-1-triple-monitor-full-res.JPG-550x0-970-80.jpg

DRCNelson

Like other tablets I've seen, the Surface 3 seems to also be missing a Kensington lock slot.
Manufacturers know people want this on laptops, so almost every laptop has them including a $199 HP Stream 11.. Why would it be different on a tablet from $499 to $1900+?
If the tablet is thick enough to fit a full sized USB port, it's thick enough to fit a smaller security lock slot.
In what I find really a bizarre design, the docking station has a lock slot to secure the dock from theft, but there is no mechanism to secure the tablet to the dock.
I would think a thief would be more likely to try to quietly snatch an unattended tablet out of the dock than to steal the dock itself.
Pretty inconvenient to have to take the tablet everywhere you go. To the restroom?

???

The only solution I have seen consists of gluing a security cable on to the tablet.
Tacky.

???

Tacky.

Kensington has been working with Microsoft to create a Keyed Cable Lock that protects the device without compromising look/feel and usability. Compatible with Surface Pro, Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 4. For those interested, here is a demonstration of how it works: