What's new

No Magnets when Touch or Type Cover Closed

NGC

I visited our local Microsoft Store yesterday and was impressed after playing with the Surface for 30 minutes. The one thing I noticed was there were no magnets to keep the type\type cover closed when not in use.
I tried many Surface's in the Store and they all didn't hold with magnets when closed. This is a small problem that Microsoft shouldn't have missed during design.

Padwah

Is this really a problem?, pretty much any way you pick the Surface up your hand will be holding the cover closed anyway.

The only time I can see that it might be useful is if you're using the kick stand so you could flip the cover up and it would stick and turn the screen off but I'm not sure how often people would want to do that?

J515OP

Super Moderator
I could see just as many people not liking a magnetic cover closing as liking one. Seems it would a personal preference not a design flaw.

Brent212

Dude, how are you people missing the obvious reason you NEED a magnet?? It's to fcking close the thing. When I put it in my backpack, I don't want the fcking cover flopping half open. As it is, it's fairly useless as a cover. It's a great keyboard, but doesn't actually work as a cover, so it's barely better than a separate bluetooth cover

daniielrp

Dude, how are you people missing the obvious reason you NEED a magnet?? It's to fcking close the thing. When I put it in my backpack, I don't want the fcking cover flopping half open. As it is, it's fairly useless as a cover. It's a great keyboard, but doesn't actually work as a cover, so it's barely better than a separate bluetooth cover

Why would it be flapping open all over the place? For one, if you're carrying a device of this type I'd assume you have a bag with a proper section for tablet/laptop? Second, how much empty space is in your bag for it to be flapping all over the place? Honestly sounds ridiculous.

kundas1

Wow, Winning first post right here folks... not only is his post rude, but just ridiculous also... good job buddy

TheCudder

Awkwardly hilarious thread. The Surface closes like a book would, and I think its great that way personally. I've stored mine in a bag plenty of times with no issues --- honestly, I'm not even sure what possible issue you could run into? Not really sure how this would improve it at all, the iPad's cover NEEDS a magnet due to the way the case rolls out in sections to convert into a stand.

Wayne Orwig

Don't need or want a magnet. Mine is with me every day on my motorcycle ride to work. No issues.
Add magnets if you wish, they are cheap.
Even better though, get a case to carry and protect it. It keeps everything including the stylus, in place.

Now not having a port to hold the stylus properly, that was a failure IMHO.

TheJokker

The Manvex case for the Surface Pro does not work properly for the Surface Pro 2 because of the magnets they use. Magnets were interfering with recognizing the type cover.