What's new

No more swiping to go forward or back with Edge?

CrippsCorner

Convenient, sure, but it's really not very much effort just to press the back button (one of which is located right where your left thumb would sit)

When I'm using the Surface as a tablet, my thumbs are on the bottom on the screen, whereas the back button is at the top! Means I have to re-arrange how I'm holding it every time I want to go back. When I'm reading a place like this forum that could easily mean 25 or so times I want to go back, so to me it does make it an absolute no go.

As you say though, I'm sure updates will come soon :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I'm using the Surface as a tablet, my thumbs are on the bottom on the screen, whereas the back button is at the top! Means I have to re-arrange how I'm holding it every time I want to go back. When I'm reading a place like this forum that could easily mean 25 or so times I want to go back, so to me it does make it an absolute no go.

As you say though, I'm sure updates will come soon :)

There is a back button on the taskbar when in tablet mode ;) (Doesn't help me though, as I have my taskbar at the top of the screen)

CrippsCorner

So there is, however just spent a bit of time playing around with it, and it's very clunky and nowhere near as good as swiping in Chrome...
  • Takes much longer (up to 5 seconds, compared to instantly with Chrome)
  • Sometimes doesn't register my touch at all
  • How far it goes back seems to random (sometimes 2 or 3 pages rather than just 1)
  • A couple of times it opened the Start Menu instead which I presume was just a miss hit from me, but either way that's pretty poor!

Gerryb

In IE you could get a drop down on the back button to go back several pages. Not available in Edge. Work around is to go to history which of course involves a few more clicks. Hopefully they return to the drop down...