What's new

No more swiping to go forward or back with Edge?

univtex34

swipe to go back or forward no longer works after i updated to win 10 this morning. works fine in chrome, but not in edge, is there a setting or toggle i am missing? seems to be a pretty necessary gesture when most of the devices on the market have a touchscreen.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Nothing at present.

My opinion though, a touch screen device does not to have such gestures. Only time in use them is watching media. In Edge, in just use the big back button on the taskbar where my thumb is nearly always located (not so convenient however for the times where I use the device with taskbar on the top. Certainly no reason not to have it though, as unlike me, many do use it. This OS is going to be a continual upgrade path. Erect to see more touch features in the future, as well as addons etc

It was only the last few insider builds where tablet mode and (not related) Edge became reliably usable. Seems like 2 features that MS are playing catch up on compared to the rest of the OS.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
wait seriously? Why would they leave out such an easy thing?

Given some of the issues of recent preview builds, it seems that's they've had some more pressing areas of concern. I think that the launch date should have been set later, my experience is that they got optimistic.

There will be more features coming to Edge in the future. As it is though, there is a lot missing from W10 that ought to be there on launch.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
swipe to go back or forward no longer works after i updated to win 10 this morning. works fine in chrome, but not in edge, is there a setting or toggle i am missing? seems to be a pretty necessary gesture when most of the devices on the market have a touchscreen.
IMO it was always flakey in 8/8.1 and was just as likely to do the wrong thing as not or take forever to do it so I avoided swipe back/forward like the plague. For instance, on MSN they have a side scrolling area on the front page... but occasionally instead of scrolling the MSN topic it would page fwd or back. However if you wanted to page fwd/back it seemed it was just as likely to hang for minutes.

I'm NOT a fan.

Last edited:
OP
U

univtex34

Well that sucks, just means I will absolutely not be using edge until it is implemented. I never had any issues, and this was how I browsed 99% of the time. Hopefully Chrome is less of a battery destroyer in W10.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that sucks, just means I will absolutely not be using edge until it is implemented. I never had any issues, and this was how I browsed 99% of the time. Hopefully Chrome is less of a battery destroyer in W10.
Chrome is as Chrome does, it's not the OS, you can find the same complaints in the Mac forums.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I would much prefer left and right swipe in to change between tabs. Worked amazing on android chrome till they went and foobarred the whole thing.

I think we can all agree that Edge is missing features that many love and hate. Regardless of opinion on their worth, it would do Microsofts brand new browser some real merit to have more touch options. Such as two finger right click etc, swiping etc. A browser should have more items in the settings tab than that! Its almost scarily sparce

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I would much prefer left and right swipe in to change between tabs. Worked amazing on android chrome till they went and foobarred the whole thing.

I think we can all agree that Edge is missing features that many love and hate. Regardless of opinion on their worth, it would do Microsofts brand new browser some real merit to have more touch options. Such as two finger right click etc, swiping etc. A browser should have more items in the settings tab than that! Its almost scarily sparce
Maybe a Cardinal Puff feature for some complex gesture operations ... :)

The Cardinal Puff

kc912

Install touchme gestures and set back and forward in browser to 2 finger swipes left and right if you miss it. That's what I've done. It comes very naturally very quickly.

CrippsCorner

Same here, it makes it an absolute no go for tablet use. Chrome works fine though, but it's not as smooth as IE swiping was in Windows 8.1

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to carry over something from another thread. Maybe this is something we will see in a month or two. When moving tabs around, you must press and hold before dragging, which is different to the rest of the OS, and is a little bit cumbersome, so perhaps they have already reserved instant swiping for features they are not quite ready to let loose :)

I certainly don't believe that swiping back and forwards is a make or break requirement for a tablet browser though. Convenient, sure, but it's really not very much effort just to press the back button (one of which is located right where your left thumb would sit)

Don't think of it as features they have taken away (it's a brand new browser after all, so you can't take away what was never there), just think of it as something they have yet to implement. Anyone on the TP will know what kind of pressure MS have been under having set the launch date in stone. It was only the very last couple of builds that were anywhere close to being launch "ready". I'm pretty sure they had to push back some things (i.e add-ons for edge) so that the actually vital stuff was all up to scratch.