This method (should)allow you to
1, lock TDP level
2, change PP0 current limit setting in Throttlestop
3, a lot more stuff to be discovered :)

WP_20150805_03_49_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20150805_03_58_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20150805_03_59_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20150805_04_00_53_Pro.jpg
So basically I stumble upon a thread about Dell venue 11 Pro overclocking. And I try to do that to my surface pro 3 using the same way. I extract the IFR file needed from the surface pro 3 bios, and change the following things in NVRAM

Package power limit lock, Variable: 0x27 -> 0x0
Platform power limit lock, Variable: 0x63 -> 0x0
Config TDP LOCK, Variable: 0x40 -> 0x10
Configurable TDP, Variable: 0x3F -> 0x10
VR Current value lock, Variable: 0x2C -> 0x0
BIOS Lock, Variable: 0x77 -> 0x0
BIOS Interface Lock, Variable: 0x79 -> 0x0

***So how do you do it? You just need to download and unzip bootx64.zip to (your usb drive):\efi\boot\ on a USB thumb drive. You need to disabled secure boot, and boot from the usb. You should see a grub interface.
the command for changing the registers are :setup_var {address} {value}
e.g. for disabling Package power limit lock, type: setup_var 0x27 0x0
And you change all the values.
When you're done, type reboot and boot into windows.
You should use throttlestop to change settings.

The attached IFR file is the one that extracted from the bios, you should also be able to change the TDP limit?

<Deleted Zip File per Forum Policies>

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicola

So I assume this would affect battery life as it's always on the 2GHz?
Not too much, I imagine it stays at max speed only for the time needed. The question might be: when you run intensive tasks for long time, don't you risk damaging components for overheating?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The question might be: when you run intensive tasks for long time, don't you risk damaging components for overheating?

That is rather the entire point of throttling. Throttling, whether we like it or not, is implemented for a pretty good reason. Same principle as say, a boiler relief valve. It's not just there to poop on our parade because why not.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is rather the entire point of throttling. Throttling, whether we like it or not, is implemented for a pretty good reason. Same principle as say, a boiler relief valve. It's not just there to poop on our parade because why not.
See Fukushima for what happens when heat is not properly controlled.
images.jpg

:)

Compusmurf

There's a few other threads here on this, some on the throttlestop site as well.

Can you link to the original thread?

Also, the CPU has additional safeguards built in that will prevent that big of a meltdown.

Kris

Wouldn't this void your warranty too? If you purposely melt your machine, I don't think MS wants to cover that.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't this void your warranty too? If you purposely melt your machine, I don't think MS wants to cover that.

Almost certainly...

(ii) opened, modified, or tampered with (including, for example, any attempt to defeat or circumvent any Microsoft technical limitation or security mechanism,

I'd call hacking out the thermal throttling to be a circumvention of a technical limitation

Haldi

Also, the CPU has additional safeguards built in that will prevent that big of a meltdown.
Well yeah, the CPU for sure. But the CPU is not the limiting factor in our SP3.
Trottling starts when the CPU first hits 91C, switches from Powerlimit Throttling to thermal trottling till the backcase has gone under... About.... 50C, and the CPU has a tenperature of about 60C at this point.
So it is to either safe the hands on which you hold the Surface "holding temperature limiting" in which case unlocking would be safe, or is made to safe the Mainboard, RAM, VRM's or what else is close to the CPU and getting to much heat.
Only way to truly find out would be to stresstest untill it breaks.
The SoC will shutdown down at 100C to prevent any damage.

soulbrothertac

This method (should)allow you to
1, lock TDP level
2, change PP0 current limit setting in Throttlestop
3, a lot more stuff to be discovered :)

View attachment 6570
View attachment 6571
View attachment 6572
View attachment 6573
So basically I stumble upon a thread about Dell venue 11 Pro overclocking. And I try to do that to my surface pro 3 using the same way. I extract the IFR file needed from the surface pro 3 bios, and change the following things in NVRAM

Package power limit lock, Variable: 0x27 -> 0x0
Platform power limit lock, Variable: 0x63 -> 0x0
Config TDP LOCK, Variable: 0x40 -> 0x10
Configurable TDP, Variable: 0x3F -> 0x10
VR Current value lock, Variable: 0x2C -> 0x0
BIOS Lock, Variable: 0x77 -> 0x0
BIOS Interface Lock, Variable: 0x79 -> 0x0

***So how do you do it? You just need to download and unzip bootx64.zip to (your usb drive):\efi\boot\ on a USB thumb drive. You need to disabled secure boot, and boot from the usb. You should see a grub interface.
the command for changing the registers are :setup_var {address} {value}
e.g. for disabling Package power limit lock, type: setup_var 0x27 0x0
And you change all the values.
When you're done, type reboot and boot into windows.
You should use throttlestop to change settings.

The attached IFR file is the one that extracted from the bios, you should also be able to change the TDP limit?

<Deleted Zip File per Forum Policies>

Thank you for this valuable peace of information, I was about to give up as this throttling issue has been driving me crazy almost to the point of getting rid of my surface pro 3 (i have the i5 version). Could you confirm if this method works? I noticed that the zip file link was blocked but managed to find the bootx64.efi file here. is this the correct one? When I launch the grub interface, should I use the values found on the link or the ones you posted above? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cothek

Well yeah, the CPU for sure. But the CPU is not the limiting factor in our SP3.
Trottling starts when the CPU first hits 91C, switches from Powerlimit Throttling to thermal trottling till the backcase has gone under... About.... 50C, and the CPU has a tenperature of about 60C at this point.
So it is to either safe the hands on which you hold the Surface "holding temperature limiting" in which case unlocking would be safe, or is made to safe the Mainboard, RAM, VRM's or what else is close to the CPU and getting to much heat.
Only way to truly find out would be to stresstest untill it breaks.
The SoC will shutdown down at 100C to prevent any damage.
This is what I've found as well. The lim-fac on the SP3 is not the CPU temp but the external case temp. You can see in his graph that it still throttles (the jump in power limit throttling) due to the case external temp. Another tell tale is the drop in TDP.

Also, what is the time scale on your test? Looks to be short, like 5 min?