What's new

No more throttling for Surface Pro 3 :)

Surface_Pro_4_Opened.jpg
The back plate has to get warm though to dissipate heat. It throttles because heat is concentrated only on the half part of the surface. Surface pro 4 solves the heat issue this by spreading the heat on the WHOLE back plate by attaching a huge copper slab on the middle of the surface back plate.

ChiGGz

Surface_Pro_4_Opened.jpg
The back plate has to get warm though to dissipate heat. It throttles because heat is concentrated only on the half part of the surface. Surface pro 4 solves the heat issue this by spreading the heat on the WHOLE back plate by attaching a huge copper slab on the middle of the surface back plate.

And over the battery, which is one of my problems with the cooling in the SP4.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2015-11-4_19-45-8.png

The Passive Heat Pipes (Closed Water System) and the Heat Spreader is capable of dissipating the heat up to 9-10 Watts and with the fan it can cool up to 17 Watts, the photo above that theveterans supplied is the M3, and the void is where the new fan goes for the i5 and i7. On the ones with fans...air is drawn in from the right side pulled across the heat pipes and across the spreader, heat is egressed via the top left corner vents.

Haldi

And over the battery, which is one of my problems with the cooling in the SP4.
Ho? Can you elaborate?
Your battery is getting to hot? Is that the Problem? I assume it shouldn't get much over 60C.
Is there a sensor for battery temperature in the Surface 4?

ChiGGz

Ho? Can you elaborate?
Your battery is getting to hot? Is that the Problem? I assume it shouldn't get much over 60C.
Is there a sensor for battery temperature in the Surface 4?

I don't own an SP4. But having a heat spreader dissipate its heat over top of a battery can't be good. It might have some insulation between the heat spreader and the battery, but some of the heat will still warm up the battery. By how much? I don't know...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't own an SP4. But having a heat spreader dissipate its heat over top of a battery can't be good. It might have some insulation between the heat spreader and the battery, but some of the heat will still warm up the battery. By how much? I don't know...
They took these into consideration and I can tell you the design does exactly what it is supposed to do.... the batteries used in the Surface are design as the highest specs in the industry.

Mine DOES NOT throttle though when docked + external monitor. I get no lags and 1 - 1.1 GHz graphics frequency when running Asphalt 8. I noticed that Turbo is off when the GPU usage and frequency is maxed out. I believe it's TDP limitation. The whole SOC package is 19 Watts; CPU + GPU TDP is 15 Watts. Temps are hovering in the 90 degrees Celsius range when running at TDP. Also, if I keep playing for one hour, the battery discharges since the power supply cannot provide enough power on sustained maximum power consumption.

Untitled.jpg

cbutters

So does anybody know if these techniques could be applied to the Surface Pro 4's skylake processor? It would be a godsend to alleviate PL1 throttling on the i7 model.

PumpkinPie

So does anybody know if these techniques could be applied to the Surface Pro 4's skylake processor? It would be a godsend to alleviate PL1 throttling on the i7 model.

It most certainly would. I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm in the market for an i7 SP4 actually. I won't be getting one for another month or so, but when I do, I will do this, and post it on YouTube, unless of course someone beats me to it.

cbutters

It most certainly would. I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm in the market for an i7 SP4 actually. I won't be getting one for another month or so, but when I do, I will do this, and post it on YouTube, unless of course someone beats me to it.
Beat you to it ;)

Much different method though... keeping a special sensor on the back cool allows the device to dynamically open up the PL1 value up to 25 watts continuously. This special control that the SP4 has over PL1 via hardware might affect any special BIOS adjustments... what do you think?