What's new

No more throttling for Surface Pro 3 :)

codrut

So is there any other method to stop throttling on SP3, except the already known external fan method?

PumpkinPie

Beat you to it ;)

Much different method though... keeping a special sensor on the back cool allows the device to dynamically open up the PL1 value up to 25 watts continuously. This special control that the SP4 has over PL1 via hardware might affect any special BIOS adjustments... what do you think?

Yeah that's a different approach to the one in the OP. Personally, having a fan hanging off of, or connected to my SP4 is not something I would consider a good or acceptable solution to me. However, I believe the OP's method would also work for the SP4, and that is what I will try when I get mine.

I don't believe temperatures will get high enough to do any damage to the CPU or any of the other components inside the SP4 with the OP's method. I think the sensor is merely there for the sake of keeping the SP4's casing cool enough so as to not be uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

Last edited:

PumpkinPie

I don't like having a fan either, that's why I'm asking, is this method really working?

I think it will, won't know for sure though until I get mine in a few weeks. I'll test that and post a vid on YouTube and also make a post here at SurfaceForums to let you guys know how it went.

stonerwinst

This method is not working for me. I have played with both XTU and Throttlestop. I can control the thermal TDP by limiting the clock boost, but the 4650U has some sort of TDP power limit (as opposed to the thermal limit). When I play borderlands (CPU+GPU), the system draws more than some amount of average TDP power and the system throttles down the performance.

In throttlestop the TDP level 1 and 2 are hard coded at 11 and 25W, respectively. I can't seem to change this value. But I think this is the source of the performance issues in my SP3. Has anyone figured out a way to modify these 2 values?

codrut

This method is not working for me. I have played with both XTU and Throttlestop. I can control the thermal TDP by limiting the clock boost, but the 4650U has some sort of TDP power limit (as opposed to the thermal limit). When I play borderlands (CPU+GPU), the system draws more than some amount of average TDP power and the system throttles down the performance.

In throttlestop the TDP level 1 and 2 are hard coded at 11 and 25W, respectively. I can't seem to change this value. But I think this is the source of the performance issues in my SP3. Has anyone figured out a way to modify these 2 values?
I think you need to do what the OP said, follow all that procedure to modify the firmware and then "for disabling Package power limit lock, type: setup_var 0x27 0x0". But I haven't tried. Anyone else tried?
I would really like to get every bit of power from SP3. I also plan on getting the SP4 in Q1 2016 or maybe the SB but I'll still keep my SP3 around.

stonerwinst

Yes. I've followed all the steps. I think there is an embedded controller in the SP3 design that overrides whatever you set for power limits. Unfortunately I agree what others have said on the web that there is no way through software to uncap the TDP power limit. It is controlled by the hardware design.

PumpkinPie

Anyone try turning hyperthreading off, and downclocking the CPU to like 1.7GHz or 1.5GHz to give the GPU more power room to breathe?

stonerwinst

I've tried lowering and limiting the clocks. It only delays the TDP throttling when gaming. I've executed all of he register settings suggested by the mod. It doesn't unlock the TDP limit for me.