What's new

no network found...

OP
K

Kamran Samaie

I couldn't get access to the router, it was set up several years ago, but no one remembers the log in data...

Since it's not my place, I can't simply reset the router... At least not for now. It's the place of my girlfriend's parents, so it's ok for now, but I will contact the support so they can see that there is such a problem anyways.

Where did you get the driver from July 16th? I downloaded the Surface Driver pack form the MS site dated July 16th, but the network adapter driver is dated June 20th or do you mean that one? If so, I tried that and it's not working...

Edit: Once I stopped looking for this as a Surface, but a Windows 8.1 problem I found some other threads where people experienced the same issue after an update and the reason seemed to be the use of channel 12 and 13, so maybe that's the same for me as well. When I'm home I will change the settings of my own router to those channels and see if it stops working. I will keep you updated

Seneleron

If you have another device, you can always setup something like connectify and share connection to get around it[and avoid mobile data].

Not entirely ideal, and less elegant than a direct connection, but it'll keep you going.

www.connectify.com
[Free version is available]

stonerwinst

I just encountered this problem when my device woke up from hibernate. In my case, the SP3 reported that it was connected to my router with "limited" connectivity to the internet. I disabled/reenabled the WIFI adapter through the sidebar and then internet connection worked again.

I know definitely the issue is not on my router/internet side. There IS absolutely something wrong with the WIFI driver/hardware in the SP3. Hope Microsoft makes this more reliable in future patches.

A minor annoyance for me as long as I don't have to reboot completely to get WIFI to work again. We'll see...

Bandito

The issue with the router channels is a regional one. In the U.S. it tops out at channel 11. I believe that channels 12 and 13 are for Europe and possibly Asia. So, if you had a U.S. version computer and you traveled to Europe, you wouldn't be able to "see" a router that was using channels 12 or 13.

The various jurisdictions have some of the frequencies defined in the WiFi specs. already assigned for other purposes, so those channels must be blocked out on the adapter so as not to interfere with the equipment already assigned to those frequencies.

Perhaps this is your issue?

stonerwinst

My SP3 came out of hibernate with limited connectivity to the internet again. This time I fixed it by manually disconnecting and reconnecting to the WIFI network. Very, very strange. Anyone having this issue?

OP
K

Kamran Samaie

The issue with the router channels is a regional one. In the U.S. it tops out at channel 11. I believe that channels 12 and 13 are for Europe and possibly Asia. So, if you had a U.S. version computer and you traveled to Europe, you wouldn't be able to "see" a router that was using channels 12 or 13.

The various jurisdictions have some of the frequencies defined in the WiFi specs. already assigned for other purposes, so those channels must be blocked out on the adapter so as not to interfere with the equipment already assigned to those frequencies.

Perhaps this is your issue?

By now i'm quite sure that it's the channel issue, since I have a US device and live Europe. Tomorrow i'll be home (still Europe) and I will try changing the channel and see if this is really the source of my problem.

I also noticed that the router is quite old ands uses the 802.11g standard, could that also be an issue?

kozak79

Is there a fix for the limited connectivity issue yet? I have Hyper-V on, Maximum Performance set on the Wireless Adapter. I shut down, not hybernate or sleep. And every other time it boots, it's in limited Connectivity both at home and at work. This is on an i7 256gb SP3 with an E3000 linksys Router at home and an older linksys router at work. This is really annoying.

ipaq_101

Is there a fix for the limited connectivity issue yet? I have Hyper-V on, Maximum Performance set on the Wireless Adapter. I shut down, not hybernate or sleep. And every other time it boots, it's in limited Connectivity both at home and at work. This is on an i7 256gb SP3 with an E3000 linksys Router at home and an older linksys router at work. This is really annoying.

Have you run the latest windows update? I think the July 16th update solved this issue.

You can also try to re-install the drivers:
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/networking-and-connectivity/install-wireless-drivers

GeorgeA

My SP3 worked fine (well, some reboots instead of waking up after sleep/hibernate) since August but 2 days ago after I took it out of the dock station (that has a LAN cable plugged) it refused to see any WiFi networks. Turning wifi off/on, ariplane mode on/off, rebooting the system, disabling/enabling Marvel adapter, even uninstalling it from the Device Manager (both with and without deleting the driver) never helped. I hoped the upcoming FW upgrade would fix it but it hasn't. Of course, there are networks around (including our copr. one it worked fine with for several months), moreover, a very old USB adapter plugged into the SP3 sees them and connects to them. The built-in one sees nothing and reads 'No networks found'.

Not sure if it matters, but after the previous big update (10/28 I believe) it started to take much longer for my SP3 to re-gain wifi connection after waking up, everything would wake up fine, but wifi would show as connected to the previous access point for some 20-30 seconds (even at home it would show as connected at work), then it would disconnect for a couple of seconds and then reconnect just fine. Now I see a similar behavior with LAN connection but wifi just doesn't work.

The device was bought in the USA and I'm currently very far so returning, while being an option, is the last thing I'd try.

Any help or suggestion would be highly appreciated.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its sounding like a hardware problem which probably all goes back to one chip. I think Id get a USB or micro USB WiFi adapter as a workaround until replacement is convenient and just disable the onboard devices in Device Manager.

GeorgeA

Its sounding like a hardware problem which probably all goes back to one chip. I think Id get a USB or micro USB WiFi adapter as a workaround until replacement is convenient and just disable the onboard devices in Device Manager.

Actually when I say similar behavior it may be exaggerated a bit. LAN just takes quite a while to connect. Usually after it boots or wakes up I see the limited connectivity icon and it stays there for half a minute or so.

Is there a way to check if the WiFi chip is OK? Is bluetooth also handled by the same chip, for instance?