What's new

no no no no noooooo spilt coke on my type cover

badham21

Needless to say I was clumsy, I was drinking a glass of Pepsi whilst browsing the web, and I knocked the glass over and Pepsi flew all over the type cover, I took quick action and it is now upside 'draining' off. Pray for me guys

bosamar

I take a bath with mine all the time. I can't see how a little coke would ruin it if quick action isn't taken.

Needless to say I was clumsy, I was drinking a glass of Pepsi whilst browsing the web, and I knocked the glass over and Pepsi flew all over the type cover, I took quick action and it is now upside 'draining' off. Pray for me guys

I suggest you use some water to wash off the pepsi. depending on whether you use regular or diet pepsi you will get a sticky residue that may make your type cover non-functional. Getting it wet with water is OK as long is it is not attached to the device. Drying it carefully is the most important step. Buy some drying material (dryrite or similar) from the pharmacy and let it sit in in a closed environment for a day or two with the material. Another way to dry is by carefully drying it with a hair dryer on lowest settings (do not overheat). You should be fine. Happened to me a few times on a laptop keyboard.

bosamar

I'm thinking Microsoft took that possibility into design consideration. I've done worse with other accessories and lived to tell about it! :LOL:

Surface5280

I hope you have better luck than I did with my type cover. A couple days before Christmas my wife accidentally spilled water on the keyboard (not a lot though) we quickly picked it up and dried it off. Despite our efforts 4-5 keys were apparently damaged and would no longer work. I think they were the Q,W,K and the space key that quit working? The next day I took it back to the Microsoft kiosk in the mall that I bought it from and showed them that the keyboard didn't work anymore with certain keys, he looked at it and tested out what I told him, then said ok I'll give you a new one. No questions were asked, but I was also within my 30 day purchase period. I'm thinking about getting MS complete just to be on the safe side while I'm still within my 45 days to purchase it.

TrentonT

Microsoft instructions for keeping it clean, Clean and care for your Surface

To keep your Surface looking and working great, clean the touchscreen and keyboard frequently and keep Surface covered when you’re not using it.

shadow.png
Touchscreen care

Scratches, finger grease, dust, chemicals and ultraviolet light can affect the performance of your touchscreen. Here are a few things you can do to help protect the screen:

• Clean frequently. The Surface touchscreen has been coated to make it easier to clean. You don’t need to rub hard to remove fingerprints or oily spots. To avoid scratches, use a soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe the screen. You can dampen the cloth with water or a lens cleaner, but don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Don’t use window cleaner or other chemical cleaners on Surface.
  • Keep it covered. Close the cover while you’re on the move or not using Surface.
  • Keep it out of the sun. Do not leave Surface in direct sunlight for an extended period of time. Ultraviolet light and excessive heat can damage the display.

shadow.png
Cover and keyboard care

The Touch Cover and the Type Cover require minimum care to function well. To clean the keyboard, wipe with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Do this often to keep your Touch Cover or Type Cover looking great.
If the spine or magnetic connections of your cover get dirty or stained, apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean.
For more info about safely cleaning and caring for Surface, The MS Surface site has a great General info site Here Browse topics for Surface with Windows RT

Last edited:
OP
B

badham21

9 days later and all is fine, I found a few keys became a little sticky, but I just took them out and rinsed them, and that did the trick. Thanks for the advice anyways guys :)

richardb20

My cat likes to sleep on laptop keyboards, which I thought was cute, until he wee'd all over my TypeCover keyboard this afternoon.

I rinsed the keyboard gently, and left it in the airing cupboard to dry. But it isn't working very well (random keys are being entered, and backspace works sometimes but not others etc). Keyboard looks like brand new after the wash though.

I'll let dry out some more, and see it that fixes it.

R.