What's new

No Surface Book 2?

MickeyLittle

How come the Surface Pro 4 got a processor update but not the Surface Book? They came out at the same time. I wasn't expecting a Surface Book 2 but if your going to update the SP4 then you should update the processors on your other products that are just as old.

If I had to guess I'd say it is because the Surface Pro line is a much higher seller than the Surface Book is. Besides they just came out with a Surface laptop and at the end of last year they had somewhat of a refresh for some of the higher end Surface Book models by add the Performance Base. And on my basic model the I purchased in December even it was an upgrade of sorts as it was model 0013 rather than 0009.

Yes the SP just got a faster processor and hopefully something sweet is in the works for the SB in the not to distant future. But this thing runs and looks so good now that I'm not going to worry about it in the meantime.

BubbaUK

Also, as a business you need to stagger your releases, not have them all belched out at the same time, irrespective of when the technological improvements occur. For example, you don't see Apple shoving out new iPads or Macbooks at the same time as a new iPhone; they are staggered on a per quarter basis, all designed to keep the stock price bouncing along nicely.

Orlbuckeye

How come the Surface Pro 4 got a processor update but not the Surface Book? They came out at the same time. I wasn't expecting a Surface Book 2 but if your going to update the SP4 then you should update the processors on your other products that are just as old.

Well the Surface Pro was just announced and hasn't been released. The Surface Laptop hasn't been released yet. I expect the Surface Book 2 will be released shortly. I expect new models with the next Windows update in Fall.

mva5580

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another Surface Book.

It's a cool product but I question whether or not it sold well enough to justify a 2nd version. I tend to think there's a decent chance the Surface Laptop is a Book replacement and even if it isn't, I would think the "Book" would need to be renamed considering that's just another word for a laptop. While it was admirable that it was trying to be a laptop, a tablet, and a laptop that could handle some gaming, it wasn't great at any of them. The tablet had horrible battery life, the GPU wasn't enough to do much of any real gaming, and well....it was probably best as a laptop. And now that's a new product.

If I were to guess, I don't think there will be another one.

MickeyLittle

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another Surface Book.

It's a cool product but I question whether or not it sold well enough to justify a 2nd version. I tend to think there's a decent chance the Surface Laptop is a Book replacement and even if it isn't, I would think the "Book" would need to be renamed considering that's just another word for a laptop. While it was admirable that it was trying to be a laptop, a tablet, and a laptop that could handle some gaming, it wasn't great at any of them. The tablet had horrible battery life, the GPU wasn't enough to do much of any real gaming, and well....it was probably best as a laptop. And now that's a new product.

If I were to guess, I don't think there will be another one.

I hope you're not a betting man. :D

Orlbuckeye

That's only cause of the high price. The Surface Book can be used as laptop just fine and has some cool added features (removal tablet, pen input, etc.) If it was priced lower it would appeal to a lot more people.

The Surface Laptop with Windows 10S is limited. Granted someone can upgrade to Windows 10 but that's not how they are marketing it.

But if it was a lower price it would be different the unique technology used in the SB isn't cheap.

Orlbuckeye

Yes, I agree.... I think we will definitely see a new Surface Book, although now I doubt it will be called a Surface Book 2. Its a great premium product and fills a distinct spot in their Surface lineup. No reason why they wouldn't produce a follow on.

I agree.