What's new

Noisy processor!

CrippsCorner

Thought I'd start a new thread for problems with machine No.2 :confused:

It still has the same issues as my previous one, i.e. light bleed, slow Wi-Fi and lagging Bluetooth... but the Bluetooth is slightly better so I just thought sod it I'll keep it. However! I've now noticed, the processor is really noisy! Or something like that. Basically when doing literally anything like even scrolling down one line in a browser, or highlighting some text, the processor makes like a static sound, if that makes sense? I noticed my original Surface Pro doing it every now and then, but this new one is way, way worse.

It's frustrating because no fans is a blessing, I absolutely love it, but if I'm sitting in silence I now have this other sound annoying me! Has anyone else noticed this? I'm running the i5 by the way.

If everyone else's is just the same then I'll guess I'll have to live with it.

Please try and comment if you can, thanks!

convergent

I don't think it's physically possible for a processor to generate sound. Are you talking about sound from the speakers? My i5 is totally silent when I have the speakers muted, and I've not noticed any static noises when unmuted.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I can say is I havI have this on my sp4 (never worreid though as normally in a loud environment). I've no idea what it is, but just srolling a web page and there is a static, high pitched squeal (very quiet) if I scroll in a browser. I've no idea what it is or where it comes from (speakers on mute etc).

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

All I can say is I havI have this on my sp4 (never worreid though as normally in a loud environment). I've no idea what it is, but just srolling a web page and there is a static, high pitched squeal (very quiet) if I scroll in a browser. I've no idea what it is or where it comes from (speakers on mute etc).

Yes this is it. Very strange indeed and would love to know where it actually comes from! I did find this...

Fan noise and Clicking/Buzzing Noise on Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10 | Microsoft Surface tablet

But it didn't help (as stated after the latest update it probably wouldn't anyway)

I know it's such a minor thing really but it's just another thing that's worse on the new Surface Pro than my 4 year old one! Feel like I've wasted my money a bit :oops:

convergent

Yes this is it. Very strange indeed and would love to know where it actually comes from! I did find this...

Fan noise and Clicking/Buzzing Noise on Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10 | Microsoft Surface tablet

But it didn't help (as stated after the latest update it probably wouldn't anyway)

I know it's such a minor thing really but it's just another thing that's worse on the new Surface Pro than my 4 year old one! Feel like I've wasted my money a bit :oops:

I feel like I'm in a parallel universe with the new Surface Pro. I bought one at the Microsoft Store (brick and mortar) the day after launch and haven't had any of the problems that others have reported. I'm sure I'm not alone, but few of us show up on the forum sit seems. If you are able to reproduce it making a noise while scrolling, I'd definitely take it back.

Have you tried other locations just to see if it is some interference with another device where you are at.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the i5/8/256 SP 2017 since launch day without issues - occasionally I will get a soft freeze but I'm also running Insider Fast and driving two 4K Monitors while docked :) These appear to be Edge related. Also Bluetooth issues were introduced in an update a couple of months ago in Windows 10 and seems to not be fixed yet.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

If you are able to reproduce it making a noise while scrolling, I'd definitely take it back.

Just testing again and it happens even when I'm moving the mouse around! Like not even scrolling or clicking anything. I just refreshed the page and it went crazy lol.

Do you get that noise when the machine is connected to the power adapter? unplugged or both?

Didn't think of testing that but just did and can confirm it happens on both occasions.

Worst thing for me is the damn return process, another couple of weeks without having a computer and contacting Microsoft Support has been a terrible experience! :(

Cuchulainn

Just testing again and it happens even when I'm moving the mouse around! Like not even scrolling or clicking anything. I just refreshed the page and it went crazy lol.

Didn't think of testing that but just did and can confirm it happens on both occasions.

Worst thing for me is the damn return process, another couple of weeks without having a computer and contacting Microsoft Support has been a terrible experience! :(

Yeah. I was kind of hoping maybe it only happened when connected to power. Then it might possibly be a result of a faulty power supply and you could try exchanging that only, assuming that you don't have a brick and mortar store nearby.