What's new

Noisy processor!

wpcoe

I'm also running Insider Fast and driving two 4K Monitors while docked

Sorry to go off-topic again on that comment, but may I ask how your monitors are connected? Is one off the mini-DP port on the SP and the other on the dock, or are they daisy chained, or ... ?

I'm on the verge of ordering a SP 2017 and that is one question I had: how to keep my current dual-monitor configuration at home.

Thanks!

PS: If I have further questions after reading your response, I'll start a new thread.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to go off-topic again on that comment, but may I ask how your monitors are connected? Is one off the mini-DP port on the SP and the other on the dock, or are they daisy chained, or ... ?

I'm on the verge of ordering a SP 2017 and that is one question I had: how to keep my current dual-monitor configuration at home.

Thanks!

PS: If I have further questions after reading your response, I'll start a new thread.
Both are connected to the Surface Dock, one it's using an HDMI 2 to mDP adapter and the other is using a DP to mDP cable...

Exhile

Both are connected to the Surface Dock, one it's using an HDMI 2 to mDP adapter and the other is using a DP to mDP cable...
I assume your 4K monitors are the same screen size but different brands which is why one is connected via HDMI2 and the other DP. Why wouldn't you connect both 4K monitors via DP?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I assume your 4K monitors are the same screen size but different brands which is why one is connected via HDMI2 and the other DP. Why wouldn't you connect both 4K monitors via DP?
One is a 40" Vizio 4K so no DP and the other is a 28" Dell 4K...

toaf

to get back on topic.

it is possible a chip is making noise. when I use a huntron ("powered oscilloscope") every so often if I have the power too high ill get noises from chips. granted they are normally bigger chips. but I give it a possibility

mocsharp

I built a desktop PC last year and experience the same thing. Whenever CPU usage kicks up, it has this static noise. After replacing the motherboard, the noise went away. You might want to get it replaced.

seyclone

I have a SP 2017 (why didn't the Microsofties just call it an SP5?) It's an i7-8-256. No strange noises, but I did notice that the whole of the upper third of the back panel gets fairly warm when stuff is going on. My old SP3 just heated the upper right corner of the back. Also, the fan seems to be on the left side instead of the right side as it was on the SP3.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I believe now the noise is down to noisy capacitors (possibly related to the power handling module within the Surface itself)

I almost couldn't be bothered sending it back, as it's a 2 week wait as minimum in the UK (it has to go back to Germany for some reason) but alas I sent it off today... I'm keeping this damn third one no matter what it's like because I can't go through setting the bloody thing up again!

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

So my 3rd Pro came... same issues :(

Very noisy capacitance noise, laggy Bluetooth and light bleed on the bottom of the screen. Slow Wi-Fi seems to have been resolved though. Very disappointed but am just going to keep this one as there are some things I love about the machine such as the keyboard and screen (well 90% of it lol)

^ You seriously have a not so good lucks with Surface Pro. Mine has zero issues of that even when the CPU is stressed to max 4.0 GHz (i7 model). No backbleed on mine and WiFi is super fast:

InkedUntitled_LI.jpg