What's new

Non Home/Student Version of Office RT for Business Use?

mapexvenus

The Home & Student version of Office RT prohibits use of the software for business. Will there be a version available (for RT) that allows use of the Office in a small business? It would seem unreasonable if MS only allows this via the full version of office on Surface Pro.

Thoughts?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Good question. I don't think they can prevent you from using the software in a business setting as long as you are buying the tablets with the software included. That would grant you a license to each copy. I can see them not wanting you to deploy Home/Student across business devices by buying one copy and then installing on multiple devices though (say a third party tablet that doesn't come with Home/Student on it).

It would be crazy to think they are going to go out and fight people trying to deploy Surface RT tablets in a business environment (probably small businesses any way since RT lack the major enterprise features of the Windows 8). Don't worry to much about it, if the Surface RT meets your needs and is what you want to use I say go for it.

OP
M

mapexvenus

Non Home / Student version of Office RT for business use?

Good question. I don't think they can prevent you from using the software in a business setting as long as you are buying the tablets with the software included. That would grant you a license to each copy. I can see them not wanting you to deploy Home/Student across business devices by buying one copy and then installing on multiple devices though (say a third party tablet that doesn't come with Home/Student on it).

It would be crazy to think they are going to go out and fight people trying to deploy Surface RT tablets in a business environment (probably small businesses any way since RT lack the major enterprise features of the Windows 8). Don't worry to much about it, if the Surface RT meets your needs and is what you want to use I say go for it.

I guess I should I have worded my post correctly. I am less worried about licensing. I want to see Outlook on RT, hence my inquiry about Office for business. Apologies for not being clear.

J515OP

Super Moderator
In that case you are out of luck :( MS has sated that Outlook will not be available on RT. I believe this is both for technical reasons as well as enterprise reasons. There are ways around this using mail apps, exchange and the cloud but I don't think that was your point.

OP
M

mapexvenus

I guess if the mail client (or workaround) is better than what I have on my iPad then that will suffice for now. I do want offline access to emails though, even if it is only for the last 30 days. I also want to be able to compose offline.

Chip

The problem is the calendar function going back to Exchange is not complete. Want to schedule a group meeting and see other's schedules? Want to see available rooms? I would bet you are SOL:-(

mobilelawyer

The Home & Student version of Office RT prohibits use of the software for business. Will there be a version available (for RT) that allows use of the Office in a small business? It would seem unreasonable if MS only allows this via the full version of office on Surface Pro.

Thoughts?

Have you ever used the web interface to access your office outlook? I use that on my regular laptop, and it lets me do most things through outlook-- certainly answsering emails and the like.

LA33R

I read somewhere that outlook was not being developed for Windows RT, because of the connected stand-by, and how desktop applications cannot stay connected to WiFi whilst in connected stand-by, and E-mails will not be downloaded whilst on standby.

Silly reason if you ask me, but I'm just writing this from memory, also I think you can use any business licence to allow you to use the Home and Student copy of office for RT, for business use. Again, bringing this back from memory.