What's new

Normal Battery Loss during 4:00 hr Connected Standby before auto-hibernate?

Just trying to get a feel for what is normal... I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks as I've gone through a couple SP3's trying to find one that didn't have some issue or another (dead pixels, bad speakers, etc.). Finally found an i7 512GB that seems to be hanging in there, but I've noticed it loses 8% battery like clockwork during 4 hours of connected standby (which is all that will show in Sleepstudy) before it hibernate.

Is this about what others are experiencing? What's odd is that all the activators, etc. are green, but the power drain shows 500mw+ (last one was over 800mw over the 4 hours, but everything else was green), and results in about 8% battery loss.

If this is the norm, it makes connected standby kind of a battery hog. I haven't done any of the tricks to optimize battery life under normal use yet (like disabling indexing, certain IE tricks, or shutting off all notifications). Could the notifications (tapatalk, Facebook, etc.) be causing the drain during Connected Standby even though the sleepstudy doesn't show anything? Powercfg /energy report doesn't show any errors or issues either.

Kind of stumped!

ctitanic

keep in mind that during Connected Standby the device checks for new emails. The amount of the accounts to check and the inbox size in each one of them will make a big difference in the battery drainage of each user. News Readers, weather, and other applications of this type also will stay checking the web and the amount of them installed will make a difference. So the answer to your question differs from user to user.

OP
R

rlarsen462

What can I disable to ascertain the "base" level of drain during connected standby? Obviously if I turn WiFi off it's not much of a test but that would obviously negate a lot of it.

Can I turn all notifications off at once or does it have to be done at the individual application level?

If there were particular applications (including email) contributing to the drain, wouldn't I have some red or yellow indicators for the particular sleep cycle in the sleep study? It seems odd to me that the main bar for the sleep cycle is red but everything below it is green.

ctitanic

What can I disable to ascertain the "base" level of drain during connected standby? Obviously if I turn WiFi off it's not much of a test but that would obviously negate a lot of it.

Can I turn all notifications off at once or does it have to be done at the individual application level?

If there were particular applications (including email) contributing to the drain, wouldn't I have some red or yellow indicators for the particular sleep cycle in the sleep study? It seems odd to me that the main bar for the sleep cycle is red but everything below it is green.
You can switch Airplane mode on when you are not using your device.

kristalsoldier

keep in mind that during Connected Standby the device checks for new emails. The amount of the accounts to check and the inbox size in each one of them will make a big difference in the battery drainage of each user. News Readers, weather, and other applications of this type also will stay checking the web and the amount of them installed will make a difference. So the answer to your question differs from user to user.

Hmmm...interesting! That point about multiple mail accounts and the size of the inbox - I have 3 accounts of which 2 are quite large!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using powercfg /sleepstudy will tell you what was active during instances of Connected Standby, you shouldn't be losing more than 5% over an 8 hour period....

OP
R

rlarsen462

If you see in my posts I am using sleepstudy...it shows a red banner for the sleep instance but all items below are green with very low activity...

OP
R

rlarsen462

Red banner and 8% loss over the 4 hour connected standby period before hibernate...sleepstudy doesn't capture hibernate obviously.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The report allows you to drill down into each entry to figure out what component or service is causing the drain, in your case drill down on Red entries first then look at yellow next....

Typical culprits I've found are non Connected Standby Aware Security Suites, legacy programs with TSR's and/or Services, 3rd Party Type 2 Hypervisors (software based such as VirtualBox), Legacy VPN Clients....

OP
R

rlarsen462

As you can see in the picture, everything shows very low active time, yet the overall battery loss is high... there's nothing to drill down to unfortunately! I turned off Tapatalk notifications for now (they were very frequent), I want to see if overnight I experience similar 8% loss.

Attachments

• Sleepstudy.jpg
    Sleepstudy.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 686

phositadc

Is it possible to disable Connected Standby and just use traditional sleep? I do not have an SP3 (yet...), but my Vaio Pro 11 loses less than 0.1% per hour when it is in traditional sleep. For instance, I'll frequently put it to sleep around dinner time and will not wake it up until the next morning, and it will lose only 1 percent.

If I had an SP3, I wouldn't need it to be connected all the time. That's what my smartphone is for. I'd rather have the extra battery life than the "always on" connectivity....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to disable Connected Standby and just use traditional sleep? I do not have an SP3 (yet...), but my Vaio Pro 11 loses less than 0.1% per hour when it is in traditional sleep. For instance, I'll frequently put it to sleep around dinner time and will not wake it up until the next morning, and it will lose only 1 percent.

If I had an SP3, I wouldn't need it to be connected all the time. That's what my smartphone is for. I'd rather have the extra battery life than the "always on" connectivity....
I read where one techsite suggested Airplane mode since Totally Disabling Connected standby isn't an option. not sure how effective that really is. it would be interesting to see.